Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Surrealism was a 20th-century avant-garde movement in art and literature that sought to release the creative potential of the unconscious mind, for example by the irrational juxtaposition of images.
Surrealism in Photoshop is the irrational juxtaposition of imagery.
In this project I want you to use Photoshop for purely artistic, creative purposes. Create something wild and impossible, let your freak flag fly.
Any image is acceptable to use for this project, so long as you save it in a “sources” folder inside of “assignment_4”. We want to see your source imagery in your presentation, or in your paper, to gauge what you did to the source images.
As the learning and practice is more important than the final product (for me), I am going to allow you to use a tutorial based project so long as you do all the work.
What will this practice?
Depending on the route you choose, this is going to practice:
- Destructive and non-destructive editing
- Folders / Organization of assets
- Filters (maybe)
- Blending Modes (very likely)
The end result has to look nice – this is hard, very subjective, but you will know it when you see it. An example of “good” surrealism:
Surrealism that is below what you should be producing:
If unclear talk to me – I can help you with topics if stuck, but you really have full creative control. I care most about quality Photoshop. I care less about “jokey” projects, as they end up being “meh” most of the time.
Turning in work
Create a folder called “assignment_4” inside “dim”.
Place your final project called “final.jpg” at 1080p. In addition place all your source images inside of a “sources” folder inside “assignment_4”. Please note the large file size to turn work in – 1080p – don’t start with images that are too small!
I need the biggest files you can give me to print and frame in the classroom. If doing a website I need you to give me the full size in the layout (make smaller with .css -> this is not best practice I know but I need the big files) OR give me direct links to the full sized versions.
The Paper People
If you are a “paper” person, create another link on your website for DIM. Populate the page with the imagery – everything I ask for. Remember to do your “presentation” through your website. It must stand on its own. I need the assets.
The Presentation People
You have to give us the same information that shows up below through your presentation. I need the assets.
If you don’t know how to do something
- Talk to Mr. Moore.
- Talk to me.
- Talk to each other.
What must show up in the website / presentation.
The website / presentation is 100% of your grade. You must cover:
- Goals of the assignment (1 or 2 sentences, we will all have the same-ish content, but it is good to do)
- Your work, and what you did specifically with each. What were your goals with each specific photo?
- Self-reflection. What went right? What would you change in the future? (Must have at least 1 critique of your own work, this helps growth and internal evaluation of you as a designer.)
- Show me your files / digital asset management.
Dates to remember
- Assigned Wednesday, November 14th
- Due Wednesday, December 5th @ 11:00 AM through Presentation or Website