Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 3! Everyone create a “week_03” folder on your desktop.
- As we are officially into Week 3 of school we are going to turn the volume up on some expectations going forward:
- The easy way to get an “A” for our Worker Traits component is by doing nothing wrong, and having 2 article comments / reads. In the grading equation, this moves you up to the “A” level. It shows you are on task, and engaged.
- Attendance is going to become more strictly enforced through grades. If you want the “A” don’t be late.
- Cleanliness of your station at the end of the day will become factored in.
- Projects that are missing 1 of 2 assets (such as a missing .psd) get a max grade of a 50.
- Projects that with incorrect file names get a max grade grade of an 80.
- Friday morning sketches that don’t have name/date on bottom right corner get a letter grade off. (This is not only for consistency, but because we have heard colleges like to see dated material in Portfolios that show grown, and finally when we do scan our work in to digitally paint, or use as concept art, names and dates on the back don’t scan in.)
- …These are professional expectations in industry which we are going to try to mimmic here in Cawd.
- Our first “Vocab and Terminology” is posted, and our first quiz will be on Friday right after break. Let’s go review this now.
- Levi, Cole, Daniel and Ben have a meeting at 12:40 (don’t come back from lunch) with Ms. Charron in Student Services. Should be 20 minutes-ish.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 3 | Pre-production for EHS Nordic Ski Team Logo
“The Nordic Ski Team at EHS would like a logo, or something they could put on ski clothing. We would like a hornet with skis or something similar. Would this be a project that your kids would be willing to do? This is the school stock photo of a hornet, we just need to modify it to make it “Nordic”.
Over the next 4 nights at home I want you to do some pre-production on how you could make this hornet be themed for Nordic skiing (cross country skiing), or winter themed in general. You must do this pre-production before Friday at 11 as this project will be our Friday Morning Illustrator “sketching” assignment. If you wait to do this homework after our Friday digital production time, you will be doing the project backwards, and the “pre-production” will be a wasted after thought. Sure you can do it backwards, but its like doing concept art for a project at it’s completion.
Fill the page with different ideas. Hats, sunglasses, wearing skis, skis on back, etc.
Sign and date, due officially a week from today.
10:40 Afternoon Project Introduction
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday -> Thursday Afternoon Head to Head Design Competition: Desks
Monday through Thursday afternoons this week are going to be a Head to Head Design Competition where you will be battling another designer to create the best “desk” scene. The goal is you will be making models and a desk which may very well go into your Bedroom.
What you do with your desks, and how you style them is up to you. While the goal is you can take much of this project and move it to your Bedroom, if you DO want to go 100% original and different you may. You can do a space themed, steampunk themed, etc. Maybe you and the student you are matched up against want to pick a theme like “1980’s” and each focus on a certain time and place.
Here are two examples of work product by students who were matched up against each other:
Everyone is doing this for grade by default, but the winner is going to get an extra 10 points (or letter grade) added to their final score. If you want to earn college credits, be part of Honor Society, and have the highest GPA possible for college / senior year admissions you want these extra points.
We will present these final projects at the start of class next Tuesday for final grade so everyone can see each others work.
- Matisse vs. Liam
- Cole vs. Ben
- Colby vs. Daniel
- Bryce vs. Hunter
- Brennen vs. Austin
- Kurt vs. Davin
- Jamie vs. Chloe
- Ellie vs. Lisa
- Ahmed vs. Michael
- Dandurand vs. Mercer
This is friendly competition to push us technically and artistically. It will be fun to see at Dailies each day where we stand in our projects. If you “lose” the Design Competition, you receive no point deduction, it’s just good to start feeling a bit of that real world pressure.
Work and save work and save. Dailies each day at 1:55.
By the end of the week I want you to create a single render called “LastNameDesk.jpg” at full 1920 x 1080 in size.