Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Due to our Snow Day on Wednesday, we are considering today (THURSDAY) Midterm Day 3. Instead of Midterms running through Friday, with presentations Monday at 10:00, we will not have Midterms running through MONDAY, with presentations TUESDAY at 10:00AM.
- Draft Presentations which were going to be today at 10:00AM will now be Friday at 10:00AM.
- Midterm Day 3!
- You know those little outhouse style shacks people build for their kids to wait for the school buses in during bad weather? Imagine if they did that to this (instead of doing a library which is also pretty cool).
- Pin Voting will take place this morning at 10:00! We will walk down in rows and vote by lead / center /drink. Bring a pen / pencil, and plan to write legibly. You get to vote for your top 5 choices which are weighted accordingly.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 SkillsUSA Design Competitions
~ Nothing to decide today, but think as we have to decide on Tuesday ~
Cawd takes part in the SkillsUSA Design Competitions. Over the years Cawd has represented Vermont in a number of disciplines. In the summer of 2017 students from Cawd were the National Champions in Web Design and 3D Animation concurrently. These are great feathers to put in your caps when applying for college.
On Tuesday after we present our Midterms for Final Grade, we are going to create our teams that will help shape what you focus on during portions of Cawd’s third quarter.
We strongly recommend you pick a content area and design competition to take part in which you think you may want to pursue in college and as a career. These experiences will allow you to focus on specific areas, and really find out if you enjoy them.
- Teams of 2
- Focus in 3rd quarter will be learning as much as you can to get you up to speed.
- Web Design is going to have the most direct application to the local Burlington / Vermont jobs market. We have somewhere around 15 former students working at Dealer. Making good money, indoor gym and tennis courts, mini-golf course on the roof, etc.
- You will be learning new tools and techniques, and applying them in a series of practice projects.
- This competition is an 8 hour event. You sit down, are given a task, and must design and program it by the end of 8 hours.
- Teams of 2-4
- Task is creating a sample or prototype video game for the state competition in April.
- You will be learning new tools and techniques, creating, and managing your team to success.
- In this competition the building of the Game takes place before the state competition. The state competition is then used to pitch to industry judges, who determine who is State Champion.
3D Visualization and Animation
- Teams of 2
- Task will be creating a series of animations over the quarter to prepare you the state competition. You will have specific practice projects assigned to get experience with new tools, as well as experience working with each other.
- This competition is an 8 hour event. You sit down, are given a task, and must design, model, animate, render, edit and export it by the end of 8 hours.
The Capstone Option
For students that don’t want to take part in a design competition, you will be working on an independently chosen project. The project lives and dies in the classroom. Nothing wrong with this, but you don’t get to work collaboratively, and you don’t get to build your resume and portfolio.
What interests you?
- You don’t need to say “yes” to the first person/group that asks you.
- You do want to push yourself out of your comfort zone to grow creatively, academically, and professionally.
- You can do this.
9:50 2019 Cawd Midterm
Draft Presentations 10:00 tomorrow.
Specifics in the “Midterm Day 1” Dayplan.