Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Please turn in your start of school paperwork! If you don’t have it, please bring it in tomorrow.
- Remember the classroom opens at 9:20 – you can come in early if you have time.
- Pretty nicely done loop.
- This loop, I just can’t stop watching for some reason.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Adobe Illustrator Introduction
- What is vector art? Basic’s of interface.
- Pen tool.
- Placing an image to use as a reference.
- Saving .ai files / exporting .jpg’s.
10:05 Morning Illustrator Exercise: Vinyl Stickers
We are going to get a chance to decorate our stations, specifically the back of the iMac’s, with vinyl stickers. Today we are going to build the silhouette which Mr. Moore in Cawd2 will use to print with our vinyl cutter.
They key is creating a smooth silhouette. Using the Pen tool please create a silhouette of something that reflects you. It is going on your computer.
You are also welcome to copy and paste in reference images into Illustrator. The shape is up to you, but try to push yourself a bit technically. Nobody wants to see a Nike swoosh, as it would take 45 seconds to make.
Limit yourself to a single color (we have Pink, Red, Dark red, Blue, Green, Lime, Orange, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Black) and if you want to have holes, you will simply draw white (the same color as the background) over your outline. It will give the illusion of a hole.
When you are ready to save your final file, make sure to hide the reference image.
Save your file as “YourLastNameSticker.ai” and “YourLastNameSticker.jpg”.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Blender Introduction
Blender is the 3D application we are going to be focusing on in Cawd. We also have Maya installed and we can use it, but Blender itself has some advantages over Maya which are too great to ignore:
- It’s Open Source – download it today at home for free. No restrictions.
- It is quick and snappy. Maya is a pig of a program.
- Blender let’s us render animations (Maya won’t without a water mark on the educational version).
- Blender has the Cycles renderer which Maya lacks.
- Blender allows us to make money on anything we make with the software. Maya doesn’t with their “educational” or “student” versions. We ran into problems where Maya doesn’t let us sell our products, nor take part on a number of design competitions where we don’t own the commercial rights of what we create.
Today we are going to jump into the program and learn a bit about the interface, as well as create some basic models and scenes.
12:00 Look at our schedules – where do we go today after lunch?
- Today is an “B” day.
- If you have a CTE B day 7/8 CTE pullout course, you don’t come back after lunch, and go right to that class for attendance. CTE classes end at 2:05.
- If you an EHS B day 7/8 pullout course, you DO come back, and then leave at 1:10 to go to your EHS 7/8 class. EHS students leave later as your 7/8 class goes all the way to 2:35. By the time you are out of your EHS class, we have been done for 30 minutes. It is just the way it is – CTE ends earlier.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Afternoon Photoshop Content
- New Documents
- Text Layout
- Fonts / Sizes / Colors
1:05 Thursday Afternoon Photoshop Typography Exercise: Word Cloud Bio
Today you are going to build your own typographic project in Photoshop through a Word Cloud Bio. In this assignment we are going to get a chance to know you better, while also working on the industry standard typographic tools of Photoshop.
The premise is simple:
- The larger the word, the greater impact it has to your life.
- The smaller the word, the reduced impact it has – it still make be one of the ingredients which make you up, but not central.
You can also play with color and transparency variations. Maybe go farther and fade out the words which are less relevant to your life.
Here is another example that uses color and transparency.
It can be a random assortment of words, it can be something “designed” – completely up to you as the designer.
Save your file as “YourLastNameTextBio.psd” and “YourLastNameTextBio.jpg”.
We will do dailies today at 1:55 around the room, and again walk students out to where the busses pick students up.