Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Today is another Tumultuous Tuesday. Schedules changed accordingly.
- Tomorrow is Halloween! Costumes! Photo at 9:45 (this has been updated), and then you can go down to the Costume Contest and win prizes. If you know of “good people” that are wearing costumes, invite them to join us.
- Plan on clean clothes, showering, brushing teeth, etc on Thursday and Friday when we host visitors for CSL days (or, I don’t know, always).
- All Quarter 1 work must be turned in by EOD Friday or they are zero’s forever. The quarter ends Friday.
- Nice street art.
- Cawd and Cawd2 Isometric Haunted House continues today and Wednesday, scroll down to the CD’s names and click to get to their Twitters and see the progress so far.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Morning Community Service Learning Day Overview
Thursday and Friday we will be hosting senior citizens and doing photo restorations as part of our Community Service Learning Days. Does your school accept these 4.5 hours per day? Up to them.
There will be major differences between “normal” Cawd, and what we do with our visitors. Among these:
- The bright lights will be on both days.
- No articles.
- Breaks and lunches will be a 3 different times based on the three rows (lead, middle, drink). You must leave when not working, as the other 2/3rds of the class is still in class.
- No Smash, socialization, guitar, games, youtube watching, etc, during these days. Leave, and when you are ready to come back for class come back for class.
We are going to have a team of Creative Directors:
- Class President Ben
- Vice President Daniel
These CD’s are going to be tasked with:
- Greeting seniors at the door. They don’t want to meet me, they want to work with you.
- Confirm immediately after the greeting that the senior has an email address. If they do not have an email address, we can’t do work for them, as we don’t do printing here. They will send the photos to their drug store, Costco, or print them at home. Seniors can be sent down to Computer Systems Technology (the hardware/software class we have) to set these up if interested.
- Bring seniors to scanner. Scan their image in and save it in appropriate folder on desktop as the seniors last name (both folder and file). If I was having a photo done the photo would be called “cronin.jpg”, in a “cronin” folder. If Mr. Moore was having a photo done it would be called “moore.jpg”, in a “moore” folder. If there are more photos for a single name, or a senior has more than 1, simply add “_1”, or “_2” as needed.
- Give the photo back to the senior. The seniors MUST leave with their photo!
- Place a copy of the image on the public drive in a photo that matches the file name. My photo would be in a folder called “cronin”. If I had two, my second photo would be in a folder called “cronin_2”.
- Fill out Google form with information for seniors. This form will have a publicly accessible spreadsheet with info on the restoration.
- CD’s will then assign a row to do the restoration. An entire row (lead, middle, drink) will do the same restoration. We will then choose the “best” restoration to email to the seniors.
- Ask if the senior wants to stay and see the work done? If so, set them up with a chair with someone from that row.
- If they don’t, tell them to enjoy the rest of their day, and thank them for visiting.
- Get to work on the restorations yourselves.
- We are acting as the restoration experts. Each student will look at the form which will be linked in the specific days dayplan. The form will tell you the name of the file, along with which row is to do the restoration, and any special instructions.
- Do your best in the restoration process.
- Save to the same folder you found the original scanned image, and add your last name to the end. So if DeLu was working on my photo her final product would be “croninLee.jpg”. If it was my second photo it would be “cronin_2Lee.jpg”.
- Move on to the next photo your row has been assigned to do.
When not working on a restoration:
If you are “done” (are you really done?) use the other time for one of 2 things:
- Missing Cawd work. All Q1 work must be turned in by 2:05 on Friday or any missing assignments are zero’s forever.
- Side work / things that interest you, work on an upcoming 20% project, explore a project, etc.
To be honest a lot depends on the weather. Some years we are slammed. Some years we are slow. It all depends.
These people aren’t aliens, they are just like us, but have been here longer. They may want to chat about the file, learn how the restorations work, and get know you a bit. Roll with it – our goal is that everyone is comfortable and welcomed to our space, and we can take pride in giving back to the community.
What the heck are YOU doing Mr. Cronin?
I am here for any issues that come up. What types of issues are you talking about?
- Scanner stops working or has issues.
- Seniors (or anyone) may get frustrating. If there is even a whiff of conflict or you are uncomfortable, just get me. I will take care of it one way or another.
- Checking in with CD’s to ensure they are distributing workloads evenly. “Watching” the form.
- Giving and taking attendance for 3 different breaks, 3 different lunches, etc.
- Answering questions about the restoration process if they come up.
You all will do great. No worries.
10:15 Morning Photoshop Content
- Working with Blurs and Masks for restorations that are well beyond the time that we can give them.
- Review of crop / straighten.
- Quick review of everything else.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Morning Photoshop Restoration: Vegas Wedding
Restore and save as “vegas.jpg” and “vegas.psd” and upload to your “week_10” folder.
I am going to meet with CD’s for CSL days during this time. CD’s will not have to do the Vegas restoration.
11:30 Morning Photoshop Content
Colorizing black and white imagery – not something we offer as a primary service, but if a senior asks for it, we can attempt it.
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:45 Silent Site Maintenance / Missing Work Check
- Check to see if you are missing any work / after school for tomorrows Cawd Homework Club.
- Work on anything Cawd related / Design Homework / College Homework
- 12:30 / 12:40 Departures.
12:45 Monday -> Wednesday Afternoon Cawd and Cawd2 Exercise: Isometric Haunted House
Afternoons Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are going to be spent working in small teams in conjunction with Cawd2. We are going to be creating Isometric Rooms similar to what Colton did, and what has become a pretty popular project in design.
As Cawd2 has already been working with this, there are going to be 7 Creative Directors from Cawd2 who are going to help run the project. You will be teamed up with them as 3D Designers.
- Cawd2 Students are Creative Directors. They will be managing the group, putting together final project, and building the room itself.
- Cawd Students are the 3D Designers. They will be working with their CD to build elements, shared on the public, which the CD’s will put in their rooms.
This is going to be a very collaborative project with larger teams just as we see in Cawd related industries. Designers and CD’s will be going back and forth between the rooms, sharing, asking questions, sharing, helping – should be a nice process.
- Cam L.
Each CD is going to create a final large render, and turn in to myself and Mr. Moore. Your team project itself will be a group grade. Help your team, you are working together, work for the greater good.
Mr. Moore and I will combine them together into a final product.
Dailies today will come through the Cawd2 Twitters, and we will all come back to Cawd at 1:55 today and share them. CD’s are in charge of creating an “in-progress” render.