Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Happy Halloween! The focus this week is both Halloween and Senior Citizens. What a weird week.
- Cawd will be locked up 8:25 to 9:25ish on today (Tuesday).
- Welcome to Week 10. You have one day left in your current seats! Wednesday when you walk in the room you will be in a new location. Look around, as you will likely not sit there again. (If you want to keep your current seat all you have to do is email me.)
- CSL days are this Thursday and Friday. It will be very different, we will not have a quiz, and we will be taking part in the greater CTE Event to give back the local community. Please have clean clothes, take a shower, and be ready to socialize. (It will be good for all of us wallflowers).
- Champlain College is coming to Cawd to do a recruiting presentation today at 11AM.
- The more you Nerd. I am a wallflower, and I want out of the spotlight! Thanks for understanding.
Halloween is today!
- Today is the day! Are we ready! Costumes! Photo is going to be taken right after before break. 10:35ish AM. All friends and family of Cawd are welcome. (Rumor is we may have a very, very, very, very small Cawd visitor as well, the first ever, Cawd Baby.)
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 10 | Driving Game Concept Art
As we introduced Cawd will be designing a Driving Game. You know the main ideas of the game:
- Races around the track with laps
- Includes time
- Has a “Best time” feature and a section to type in player name/initials
- Pickups that increase speed
- Pickups that stop lap time
- Easter eggs
- A varied track, in which the player can take different “arms” of the course. My goal is the best players have to learn the game (just like any game) and there is a strategy to win.
What you are going to do this week is generate some concept art for our game. On the next page of your sketchbook I want you to generate some ideas for the following assets:
- Brand of your game / Logo. You roughly know what the style will be (see above), what could be a good game name / logo?
- Heads up display style. How / where on the screen would you like to display speed, time, best time, boost availability, etc.
- “Boost” pickup. Mine said “Boost” (you are so creative Mr. Cronin) – what could yours be?
- “Stop Time” pickup. Mine was a stopwatch – what could yours be?
- Rough map with different “arms” of the course. Any potential easter eggs? Any interesting elements we could add that reward better players for practicing the game.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
9:50 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 9 “What is due”.
- No vocab! No quiz!
- I need all missing assignments by this Friday, November 3rd when you leave for the day. When you arrive on Monday, November 6th we concern ourselves with Q2 and Q2 only.
10:35 Halloween Photo
- Left to right is 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 (the first year we started this).
- Can we break the record for the number of costumes?
- We are trying something different and welcoming in friends of Cawd as well. Just not randos.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Champlain College Visit
- Ask good questions, last time you guys really asked great questions.
- Last college had 84% acceptance rate. That seemed high for a $40,000 per year school – didn’t it? Someone ask what the acceptance rate is for this college, and maybe specific to the programs the representative is talking about. These are the questions you need to ask.
11:45 Halloween Pictionary
- We have 25 minutes until lunch. Let’s have some fun.
- How do we want to play Pictionary? Do we want to:
- Get in real teams (2 teams) and then play against each other?
- Just have fun and draw with the tablet on the big board?
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Tuesday / Wednesday Halloween Inspired Maya or Animate Animation: Flying Bat
In the spirit of Halloween, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons are going to be used to animate (2d or 3d) a classic scary/creepy item, a Bat.
This was going to be Monday and Tuesday, but you know, nature.
I want you to design a bat, and have it animate flying across the screen. This can be done in Maya (animate the vertex points of your object) or Animate (FBF or tweens).
Sounds are required, at least two:
- Flap flap flap of the bag (getting louder and quieter as the bat goes by)
- Eerie atmospheric environmental noises. Rain? Thunder? Wind? Organ-based Halloween music? Monster Mash? All would work so long as your music isn’t so loud we can’t hear the bat flap flap flap.
- Create an environment with as much quality as you can make to support the Bat animation, but remember the animation is the key.
Minimum of 5 seconds long, regardless of your medium of Animate or Maya. Sound design is done after the fact in Premiere.
Export as “batsCronin.mp4” and place in your shared folder as normal.
Dailies at 2:00! Let’s see some scary / creepy / corney projects.