Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Last minute meeting in Cawd – classroom will be open at 9ish.
- Welcome to Week 11! We are now in Q2, and are only worried about Q2 grades. DH 10 (and week 10 work) will be the first graded product of the 2nd quarter.
- Great job last week with CSL learning Days. Seniors were happy, the faculty running the event were happy with your results and professionalism. Couldn’t have been better.
- Airless tire.
- We have two weeks of school until you have a week vacation for Thanksgiving. The Friday before vacation we could have a game day. These days are filled with food/socialization/games/ice skating?/etc. In order for the Friday before vacation (Friday, November 17th) to be a Game Day, the class must average a 90 or higher on the Friday before’s quiz. That is this Friday.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 11 | 1 Point Perspective
As we told you early in the year our hand-drawn art component is going to have a sub-focus on three specific areas that Champlain College (where many of our students go for college) are looking for:
- Perspective (1, 2, and 3 point)
- Still Lifes
As we are into the 2nd quarter we are going to begin our 2nd quarter sub focus – Perspective Drawing. At the end of Q2 I want you to be able to on the fly draw anything at 1, 2, or 3 point perspective.
What we don’t want us you to say “Uh…what is perspective.” Or you draw 2 point perspective when they ask for 1. Etc.
Over the 2nd quarter, we are going to have the majority of our Design Homeworks / Friday Morning Sketches focused on Perspective Drawing. I am also going to use online resources for us to learn from. I am doing this for a couple or reasons:
First – this makes the lesson asynchronous and repeatable. You want to watch the lesson at 6:40 tonight after dinner, but before bed? Ok. What about at 11pm on Wednesday after your Overwatch match finishes? Ok. What about today during Lunch? Ok. You don’t need to be ready to learn when I am ready to teach.
Second – our Cawd Advisory Board has pushed the idea of independent learning. If you as a junior level employee can’t learn on your own, can make the evolutionary jumps through new technologies, new techniques, new procedures, then you are not going to stay employed long. You must be willing and able to learn on your own.
We are going to spend the next three weeks working with Draw With Jazza. He does great, informative, and entertaining videos.
Week 11’s Design Homework and Friday morning sketch are going to be around the idea of 1 point perspective.
Regardless if you are a perspective pro, or you don’t have an idea what I am talking about, watch the first 5 minutes and 15 seconds of this video. It will give you a great overview of the process, specific to 1 point perspective.
Once you have the basics down, I want you to turn to the next page of your sketchbook and design for me a city street scene using 1 point perspective. This will mimic the lesson we are shown in the video above.
Friday’s 1 point perspective sketch will be something different, but still focusing on 1 point perspective.
Name and date, due in 1 week.
9:50 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 10 “What is due”
- Study for the Game Day determining Week 11 Quiz! Encourage each other to study! Maliki has said he would help run the the “We need the Game Day” initiative. I am pretty flexible if we want to run some study sessions / kahoots. I am not doing any of it. If you want a relaxing fun day before vacation, then create a system where we earn it.
- Good on Maliki for helping to manage our Game Day project, but we should all be helping each other prepare.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 11 Afternoon Maya Content: Model / Texture / Rig Rayman Style Character
Monday through Thursday afternoons this week will be spent modeling a Rayman inspired character. We started character animation using Andy the Android which I built last week. We will keep using Andy this week in the mornings as we practice the next Principles of Animation.
I do want to dive into your own characters for our animations starting next week.
We are going to start by creating a Rayman inspired Character. Rayman is characterized by body elements that are not visually connected. This will provide us with a great way to get into character creation and animation, without being bogged down by deformations and other “connected” tissue issues.
A huge stumbling block to young designers is attempting to model and animate photo realistic human animation while they are learning. Let’s focus on using the 12 Principles of animation to convey emotion through our polygons. Lots of polygons and a human body don’t equal quality.
Mike Wazowski from “Toy Story” vs. The Conductor of “Polar Express” is a perfect example. One is loved. One creeps people out.
On the other hand, a quote regarding Mike Wazowski:
“Oh, and we should also point out that Wazowski is effectively a walking eyeball just another excuse for the designers at Pixar to show that they can take any object or shape and invest it with emotion and life. Show-offs.”
This is what we are going to do.
Today and Tuesday we model.
Wednesday and Thursday we rig – and model as well if need be to finish. We prep ourselves so next week we can animate.
- Left hand / Right Hand
- Left food / Right foot
- Cartoonish face. Cartoonish. Exaggerated. Nothing hyper-realistic. I will accept helmets/masks /robot faces for students that don’t yet feel they can make a face.
By the end of your time on this project (Wednesday / Thursday afternoons based on your schedules) I want you to create a turntable-based animation with infinite lighting (Final Gather / Mental Ray) that is 5 seconds long and loops. Make sure you change the speed of the rotation so it stays consistent, so we can watch your project rotate for hours without it slowing down and speeding up.
We will be ready to animate next week.
Call your animation “characterTurntableCronin.mp4” and as always make sure it is 720p. This will go in the Week 11 shared folder.