Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Big Quiz Friday! Game Day Quiz! I can’t stress this enough that you all determine what we do the Friday before Thanksgiving Break.
- Anyone want to sit in on Donovan’s Presentation to Cawd2 on Life at Champlain?
- Something tells me he should put down the gear, and go get his arm fixed.
- So the idea is kinda neat, but you are playing it upside down…and from the front view of the car? This must be how they make the game more challenging in the later levels?
- I guess they are thinking positive, really encouraging the wheelchair user.
- Today after break we are going to do two Photoshop exercises to celebrate moving past our Restoration projects, but are going to use many of the same skills. Yes they are silly, and yes they practice our Photoshop.
- Yesterday was not a good afternoon for keeping our stations clean at the end of the day, but donuts, so I am going to let yesterday slide. We have to do better with leaving our stations clean and professional going forward.
- I think I was overzealous with the amount of work that I assigned yesterday afternoon for yesterday / today afternoon, so we are going to say that you have to get materials and collisions set up for at least 4 objects. You initially had to do 10 objects. That would be a good amount for me or Mr. Moore, but as we are learning, let’s call it 4 objects. I am also going to go over the lesson of Blender -> Unreal workflow today if you are unclear.
- After we get working on our project during 7/8 we are going to work with Michael St. Louis setting up some assets for his Champlain Board Game Project. We may be looking for some volunteers to help Michael out after 1:15, maybe play the game, sit in some photos, etc.
- Anyone interest in the 9:45-10:45 Donovan talk about Champlain? It means you have to append your character, right, and setup neutral animation on your own / during 20% time…
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Morning Rayman Content: Putting it all together
This morning you are going to put all your work in a singular file. Use File Append add in the different elements of your characters into a single file.
Once together setup with Parent relationships. All elements should have a final root of the body.
When complete, please setup a neutral animation. This is where your character isn’t doing anything, but we don’t want it to be completely static.
In my minds eye a neutral animation could include:
- Basic body movement to replicate breathing
- Shuffling weight back and forth
- Head scratch
- General stretch
- Look around
Regardless it must be looping. Setup your Dope sheet so that your animation loops. Remember we can copy frames from the start to the end of your loop so it matches up perfectly.
Render this out so we can see your textures. You can have this in a white infinite lighting setup, or a textured and lit setup as you see fit. For example Davin’s character may look better in a dark, more sci fi setting, where Ben’s may look nicer in a white, simplistic world.
Up to you the designer, but make it pretty!
Save your Blender file inside of “week_11”. Create a .mp4 if your called “lastnameNeutral.mp4” and place it in the shared drive.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Morning Photoshop Exercise #1: Horpo Inspired Animal
Inspired by Photoshop projects where you combine two animals together, I want you to combine 2 animals together into a final, new animal.
Use any imagery from the internet you wish.
- Start with as big and as crisp imagery as you can. If one image is low res, and one is high res, there is no way you can make them blend together and look really connected.
- If one image has a strong light source from the left, make sure both images do. You make your life harder (dare I say almost impossible) if you have to seamlessly move the shadow from one side of an object to another.
Just like cooking with fresh ingredients leads to better meals, doing Photoshop work with “fresh” imagery (good resolutions, correct light sources) leads to a better end product.
Save your file as “lastnameHorpo.jpg” and “lastnameHorpo.psd” and upload to the “week_11” folder.
11:30 Morning Photoshop Exercise #2: Reddit Photoshop Battle
Reddit Photoshop Battles are great places where designers go to play. You aren’t getting commercial contracts here, but you are practicing the industry standard tools in a fun and often silly way.
In the spirit of the US elections, we are going to do a battle that starts with the following image of Russian Vladimir Putin.
You can do anything to the image (class appropriate). We are of course looking for something interesting, but we are also looking for quality photoshop. I care less about the jokes, and more about the quality photoshop.
Some examples, some better than others:
Save your file as “lastnamePutin.jpg” and “lastnamePutin.psd” and upload to the “week_11” folder.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Blender -> Unreal Workflow
In Blender we will…
- Texture Objects with singular color palette
- Unwrap and move uv islands to the “correct” color
- Export FBX’s
In Unreal we will…
- Import FBX files
- Import Texture
- Connect Material created on FBX import to Texture
- Setup Collision
- Build Environment
1:10 Wednesday / Thursday Afternoon Game Environment Exercise: Low Poly Forest
After learning this afternoon how we will use a singular color palette and single texture image for 4 objects of our objects, I want you to:
- Texture / Unwrap your existing models using the palette I have supplied to you. We are all going to have the same colors.
- Import to Unreal in level saved as “Low Poly Forest”. Save your level inside the FPS project. We can have lots of levels in a “project”.
- Setup collisions.
- Build an attractive “Low Poly Forest” and start working with composition and level design itself. Let’s say for this assignment there isn’t a definitive goal for your level, it is just going to be about practice, placement, and visual aesthetic. Make it an enjoyable environment to be in!
In the end I should not be able to walk through your trees, I should be able to jump on your rocks, etc.
Work and save often.
Dailies at 1:55 will be a print screen (command + 4 for the snip tool) if your environment created in Unreal.
For grading next week create 3 “print screen” renders called “lastnameForestUE_1.jpg” through “lastnameForestUE_3.jpg” and upload to “week_11”.