Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 12!
- No meetings this morning as we have a lot to do, AND there will be some filming going in in Cawd today / this afternoon. We must plan to go with the flow. Let’s have your Design Homework…now.
- No vocab / no quiz / no 20% Project this week.
- Game Day Friday! As this is your first, here are my recommendations:
- Plan and organize. Nothing kills the Game Day for you and your friends when everyone thinks everyone else is bringing fun stuff in. Bring stuff in. Systems, computers, board games, books, rc cars (in the class only), rc blimps, etc.
- Drop off content early Friday / earlier in the week.
- Bring in food. What are you good at making? At least one student is making some sort of delicious pineapple cake. What are YOU proud of making? Previous years greatest hits have included:
- Talk to your teachers during 7/8 (if you have class and IF YOU ARE DOING WELL) as see if you can miss to hang out with friends Friday afternoon – if you want to, certainly not required. Talk to the teachers EARLY.
- As is the standard Cawd Rule – to chillax Friday you must have everything turned in. If missing anything in Cawd, you are required to complete and turn in work before you enjoy some well deserved downtime. This includes both currently graded work, and work due this Wednesday. This creates a Cawd educational system where when you walk back into school after a vacation you do so fully caught up without any fear or extra pressure of missing work.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Planning for game day food
Congratulations again on earning the game day. As stated earlier I have a poorly produced piece of pottery.
On my way in on Friday I will go to Price Chopper / store I can blow your money on food. I will throw in some money of my own and we will all combine our powers.
Thursday we will make a list of things you want, things we aren’t going to get (soda and other content which is dirty), and things that we have bought in the past that people loved, and bought in the past and people hated.
Isaac said he wants to donate money for food through Paypal. I don’t have the interest to deal with this, but if you would be willing to be the middleman you can have 50% of his money if you will accept the money and convert to cash. So if Isaac donates $2o dollars, you give me a $10 bill, and you can keep $10. Any interest?
9:50 Design Homework 12 | Free Sketch
As always when we have a vacation, I like to give you a free sketch for your Design Homework. Some are traveling. Some have arrived. Consider doing a still life of whatever your vacation will be for you, making the art personal, as compared to yet another plasma rifle. :-)
10:25 12 Principles of Animation | #10 Exaggeration
For all my people (including myself) that like doing things in order, yes, we are jumping to #10, so hold on tight and let’s try something new.
10:35 Monday -> Thursday Afternoon & Thursday Morning Character Animation Exercise: The Challenge
The focus for Week 12 will be a character animation using the character you built last week. In a “something different” aspect of this project, we will have a mini film festival next Thursday (the next Thursday of class – Thursday November 30th) where YOU will present YOUR animation in front of the entire class. We will all have some popcorn and talk about each others work, just like a real screening of a movie.
You will use your character that you created to create an animation based around the theme of “A Challenge”. What could that mean?
- Getting through an obstacle course
- Opening a bank vault door
- Reaching the cookie jar at the top of the fridge
- Really anything where your character is trying to achieve something potentially difficult
Your character does not have to succeed. It can be funny. It can be sad.
The scene itself must look good, but should really by stylistic. The core of what I am assessing this week is your character animation / digital film production. If you spend 4 hours modeling a fridge, you will fail.
I want to leave this as open ended as I can (as this typically creates the best art from students) but there are some technical requirements. During our film festival you must specifically show these to the class. We will watch your animation multiple times, and take it apart, ensuring that you show us what you say you are showing us. Don’t try to sell us something that isn’t there, the class will call you on it and you will look silly. Work hard. Be honest.
Animation Principle Requirement
Use and talk about how you implemented 3 of the 12 principles of animation we have covered so far in class:
- Squash and Stretch
- Straight Ahead & Pose to Pose
- Follow Through and Overlapping Action
If it looks like you are just winging this, you will not do well. Make a focused effort on using and being able to present 3 of the 12 if you want the A or B.
Principles will be presented by you, and checked off during out film festival.
Technical Shot Requirement
Use and talk about how you implemented all of the following camera angles in your production:
- Close Up
- Dutch Angle
- POV shot
- Over the shoulder
- Establishing shot
Shots will be presented by you, and checked off during our film festival.
You will have a nice chunk of time to do this, we are expecting a high quality production – something that could go in a Demo Reel / Portfolio / College Application.
Export as “characterChallenge.mp4” at 720p.
Sound required. Find / create the sounds for your production.
Students that are here for mornings only (Nate and Avery) let’s talk about something a little different for you two as you will only have Thursday morning to work on this. I could be talked into something where you create a character (but don’t animate as you won’t have time), or something where you animate someone else’s character (if they will share), or Andy as a backup.
All dailies this week (Monday through Thursday) must be animated for credit. Turntables acceptable.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday -> Thursday Afternoon & Thursday Morning Character Animation Exercise: The Challenge