Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Review Quiz tomorrow on Weeks 9 and 11.
- This afternoon we are going to work on our Boost assets for our driving game. You will turn in renders for a grade, but a playblasted turntable for dailies.
- If you are not here to create the Boost asset, you have to borrow someone else’s for your game or make it on your own time. This is the downside of having afternoon classes. If you are serious about Game Design and here for tomorrow’s 20% project, it would make sense to make your boost object for your self-directed project. Being able to say you created the entire game is powerful when trying to get into colleges/studios. There is nothing weaker when in your interview to say “I made this Game! Except for this, and that, and I downloaded this…”
Thursday Morning Update / 5:30 AM
Wife super sick, which means she really can’t be in charge of two girls that aren’t even in kindergarten. So, I have been drafted to stay home take care of the fam.
Due to this you are going to get the AM for “The Challenge” Production. This is a miracle for some, the gods look down upon you.
Now is where it gets really REALLY wild.
Tomorrow we are going to a speaker at 10:45 on BTV Ignite in the Auditorium. So tomorrow was already:
A – going to be crazy, and
B – going to have Pin Design work time in the AM with partners, on top of the quiz
So, NO, we are not presenting the Challenge tomorrow either. I have to think the next time in class we can present is Tuesday morning, December 4th.
So today we will use the AM for “The Challenge” production. Continue to use the Rubric I have given you to self assess. Everyone in the room should be able to improve.
I am relying on ALL OF YOU to help each other out when needed. Our sub won’t know the content, so do your best to quietly and respectfully support each other with questions and help.
Afternoons you are still going to start your Boost object, so that is not impacted by my absence. Model and save, no dailies.
Questions try to be as self sufficient as you can, lean on classmates for support, and worst case ask Mr. Moore but he has his own class.
I think you WILL have a FIRE DRILL today as it is the last day of November, so you know where to go if it happens, and you if hear a CLEAR THE HALLS DRILL you know where to go (center of the room and silent). Help the sub out.
Don’t forget the study group, Mr. Irwin is expecting you!
9:45 Character Animation Exercise: The Challenge
10:25 Cawd Study Group
Remember I need your notes before you go to the Study Group on Friday.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 “The Challenge” production time
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:45 Thursday Afternoon Modeling Exercise: Boost Asset
This afternoon we are going to be modeling our Boost Asset.
Above you can see that we can purchase models and assets to use in video games, but we will be building our own (obviously).
Model whatever you want to use in Maya, but only concern yourself with basic lambert textures. We are going to use built in Maya Materials to do our material mapping on this asset. Specific materials that work with specific renderers (such as Mental Ray) are not compatible with Game Engines as:
- Mental Ray takes time to calculate
- Game Engines need real time (30 fps or greater) materials
Create 3 renders called “boostCronin_1.jpg” through “boostCronin_3.jpg” at 720p for grading.
Have a playblasted turntable for dailies.
What I have so far in Maya:
What I have in Unreal so far – notice the glitching I have on the handle. I have to fix. This glitching is because of Boolean! Jimmy I guess I will show you tomorrow.