Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Quiz tomorrow!
- Extrusion Photography.
- Interesting take on the solar system.
- Had to clean up headphones, candy wrappers, and put stylus back in the tablet loop yesterday. Please make sure your stations are clean and setup by the end of your day in class.
- Please fill out if you are NOT in college tomorrow morning.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 The Challenge Animation Production Time
Week 13 Asset Creation – everything to be built for your story must be completed this week. Animatic of your Story – let’s see your timing, get sound effects, music, etc. Continued practice of shots / editing / film production in English
- Animation – all initial animation and rendering gets done.
- Edit together a first draft by the end of the week for presentations Tuesday of Week 15.
- Continued practice of shots / editing / film production in English
- Draft Presentation Tuesday / Feedback. Get constructive criticism.
- Animation Revision – fix the issues in your Animation. These could be fixes in:
- Modeling / textures
- The Challenge Final Presentations on Tuesday December 18th at 9:45.
Let’s go over the goals we have for you over these two mornings.
- No previews / all work required to be rendered. If this means rendering during English, break, lunch, 7/8, over night, whatever it takes.
- You are required to use a low depth of field in your project. I would recommend you use it multiple times, but at the very minimum you must use it once. Let’s look at Toy Story 3 as an example.
- Hide issues! If you having problems with your feet going through the floor, don’t show it! If your hand is clipped through an item, don’t show it!
- You get 2 full mornings to work / be productive and on task.
- Editing, sound, and technical precision can’t make your work perfect, but can really improve from a “meh” story. Make sure you have enough time for post-production.
- I am going to come around and grade your Low Poly Pickups today stating at 11 instead of the afternoons. Please be ready right after break.
10:25 Cawd Study Group
Please remember I need your notecards tomorrow at break!
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 The Challenge Animation Production Time
Need a first draft complete (renders, sound, etc) by the end of this week. We are going to do 1st draft presentations next Tuesday and get constructive criticism on what we need to rework for our final presentations.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Wednesday / Thursday Driving Game Exercise
Today and Thursday you are going to be working to create a driving game level which includes the following:
- Terrain setup with hills around the outside as a terminating horizon – we don’t want to see the world just end, we want to see hills around our level as in the picture above.
- A short loop based track. We should be able to finish a loop in 30 seconds.
- Use objects that you have built (low poly world / themed world) to help you lead the racer along the track. It needs to be pretty obvious which way to go.
- Create a ravine / chasm with the terrain tools and incorporate a bridge that you build in Blender to cross it. The bridge will be built and exported as an .fbx, and incorporated into Unreal. We are to drive across the bridge during the lap.
If you are here both afternoons you have three extra requirements
These requirements are for you to learn about on your own. Our Cawd Advisory Board (professionals in the industry) have said that learning to learn is one of the most important lessons to learn young.
You will practice this today by learning the following 3 processes:
- Have a windmill in your level that you build in Unreal. The modeling means less, the rotation of the blades is important. I want an animated windmill in your game.
- Add something to YOU built to the basic unreal car. It could be Ben’s Go-kart, it could be Liam’s Oven, whatever. Have fun with it.
- Create collectable which does something in your game. It could play a horn sound, it could speed up your car as a boost (look up Physics Thruster in Unreal), it could quit the game, the light could change from day to night, etc. If I drive over your collectable, something happens.
2 letter grade extra credit opportunity
- Install screen capture software on your school machine and record a demo of the requirements at a good frame rate. Show me this when I grade you and your “A” goes to a 115. Report Cards really like having 115’s as part of your average.
I am going to come and drive your level next week for grade, simply work and save right now. Work and save.