Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Cawd Food Drive! So far we have 0 pieces of food. Hey, I just apparently skipped this note yesterday. Let’s start with Monday’s note.
- Today we have our “The Challenge” Animation presentations.
- For anyone that had a “lumpy” revolve, that didn’t quite go 360 degrees in a smooth way, I have two workarounds:
Please try “opening” the curve. I worked this morning with Jimmy’s file and I found that if I left the curve open when I did the revolve, it solved the problem.
Closed – “Lumpy Revolve”:
Open – fixed:
If you take the middle point of the bottom of the salsa jar and move it .000001 units to the right (something positive) it also solves the problem. I moved mine more aggressively to illustrate the point. A negative to this method is it may cause artifacts (visual issues) in the middle, inside of your revolve, but to be honest this won’t matter 90-95% of the time. Try the first solution … first.
9:40 Attendance and Video
9:45 “The Challenge” Presentations
Today we present your “The Challenge” projects. These presentions will bleed into after break, and that is ok.
This is the Rubric used for your presentation:
We will only see what you want to present.
Preparing for your Presentation (10 minutes)
I am going to give you each a copy of the Rubric. You will mark it up to use in your presentation.
First, take a look at your project compared to the rubric, you should be able to grade yourself pretty easily. What areas should you focus on today?
Second, fill out / write notes on it so when you present we can see exactly what you want us to see. If you do not present all required elements, you will simply not get credit for that component. Use it as a script.
Overview of how I would present if I were you (learning how to sell your work is important in the design fields)
- Show your animation twice.
- Demonstrate your use of the animation principles. Fast forward, show portions, etc.
- Demonstrate your use of the technical shots. Fast forward, show portions, etc.
- Show your animation again (put on loop).
The audio and “gut feeling” component will be assessed on the fly.
While we watch as an audience
- Be a good audience, everyone is nervous, and this is ok. No music, no phones, no side convos, computers asleep.
- Be ready for a Rose and Thorn Critique. I will randomly call on students and ask for an element they liked about the students work, and an element they need to work on. You may get called on more than once, so please be ready.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Presentations / and then …
Setting up checkpoints for the game to track laps.
We are going to use a 3 pronged approach for our driving game to keep track of laps:
- Have a checkpoint keep track of when something drives through it (the car). When a care leaves the checkpoint…
- Run an “Increase Lap” event which we will define in the HUD (Heads Up Display). This event will update what lap we are on…
- Display the current lap on screen from the HUD.
Increase Lap Custom Event which lives in the HUD (Heads Up Display):
Code that goes in your checkpoint Blueprint:
Basic on-screen lap display:
Any extra time will go to track revision and editing.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Advertising Unit & Focus
- We are going to start a focus on the next two weeks on an Advertising unit in the afternoons.
- We are going to be working with Mrs. Wolfe’s Pre-tech 2 class (sophomores). They make salsa, and we are going to help them with the Advertising and 3D graphics. They are going to make their brand / brand graphics with Mr. Moore in Cawd2, and then work with Cawd to create television / YouTube commercials for their presentations.
- We are going to create the frameworks this week in our own projects. We are going to build the assets needed as if we were working in the advertising industry.
- Today / Tuesday we are going to go through a step by step to learn some new tools and techniques, Wednesday and Thursday you will use these new techniques to build your own jars / brands.
12:50 Monday / Tuesday Afternoon Maya Content
This afternoon we are going to be going through a step by step to create a Salsa Jar, something famous and recognizable from the Pace Brand.
We are all going to create something roughly like this:
- Revolve Surfaces / Nurbs / Polygons
- Bezier tool adjustments
Dailies today will be a render of what we all do as a class, so can see your work.