Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 16! The last week before the well deserved Holiday break! What our schedule looks like:
- We are going to have visitors from Pre-tech this afternoon and tomorrow from 12:45 to about 1:25. Students working with visitors today after lunch are:
- Movies Thursday! Don’t be late we we are leaving right at 9:39:59! We cover ticket cost, you pay for concessions. I will get off the bus first, pay for us, and then get my concessions. Then I will wave you in. Then Mr. Moore comes in last when everyone has their concessions and we start the movie. Be quick, we have a short window. They have to start the movie at a certain time. Know what you want before you get to the front of the line.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Game Day Preparation
- Friday will be our pre-vacation Game Day! Doors open 7:30.
- Students must be fully caught up to take part. The goal academically is you when you return from vacation you don’t have the anxiety of missing work. Vacation can be truly calm and enjoyable.
- Students not fully caught up will work Friday until they are caught up.
- Bring in systems, computers, monitors, guitars, board games, ice skates (7/8 skating with Mr. Moore in the rink), etc. Bring it all in, including cables, batteries, peripherals, etc.
- I am going to walk around with the PPPP early this week, and we will discus what you want me to pick up later on later in the week. If you don’t want to kick in money, consider bringing stuff in from home. Homemade or bought. Just try not to be a vampire who doesn’t contribute anything, but stuffs their face with food others bought and brought. Food can be dropped off early, but is only opened at 9:40 so the students not taking academics in the AM can’t eat everything.
9:50 Working with Visitors in Cawd
- When you have a visitor, what do you do?
- I appreciate you taking the time to show visitors around our program. When you get a visitor you get credit for two article comments. This means you have to read less in class to get the “A” for the week, as you are practicing talking to new people which itself is a skill to practice. Worker Trait grades can go over 100.
- We are going to have a lot of visitors. You all were once visitors. They are going to be much more nervous than you are, even if you ARE nervous. We have home field advantage with a class of 25 kids. The key is being welcoming.
- When you are with them have them fill out this form first, and then show them your work, and get into your projects with them.
9:55 Design Homework 16 (Over vacation): Free Sketch
As is tradition over vacations your Design Homework (in this case DH16) is going to be a free sketch. Take the next page of your sketchbook and draw anything you wish. It could be:
- level designs
Sign and date, due Wednesday January 2nd at Site Maintenance.
10:00 Site Maintenance
- Check the week 15 “What is due”.
- No quiz this week.
- Final Presentations of “The Challenge” are tomorrow at 10:00.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 15 and Week 16 Monday + Tuesday Unreal Assignment: Driving without Driving
Monday and Tuesday’s of both Week 15 and Week 16 are going to be working in Unreal to use the Vehicle Advanced Driving Mode but doesn’t use a car.
I do not want to see a 4 wheel vehicle for this project, but I really want to open up the tools to you as designers as you are getting more and more comfortable with the concepts and software.
It is all going to come down to execution and creativity. This project is very open ended, and will require a good deal of looking up through the documentation how to do this or that. Some possible ideas that you could consider:
Sailboat / Wind surfing / Motorboat / Water World
Replace the car with a sailboat / windsurfer / boat / sub / etc.
Explore “water” in Unreal.
Use terrain to have “islands” pop up throughout the ocean world.
Likely very flat world, so flipping won’t be integral.
Snowboard / Sky Game / Winter World
Replace the car with snowboarder / skier / sled / etc.
Create terrain object that mimics a mountain. Rotate the terrain?
Make sure you have flip functionality setup so we can land jumps. Flipping would be key.
Other / Designers Choice / What could it be?
You are the Game Designer – you have full control so long as you starting in the Advanced Vehicle Game Mode. What could you build?
You have 4 days of class to build something interesting for presentation next Wednesday / Thursday.
For some of you this may be an audition to get teammates for the Vermont Video Game Design Competition – take it seriously.
Dailies at 1:55!