Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to 2019 and Week 17! Hope everyone had a great vacation and recharged. I saw Calacci at Smugglers Notch snowboarding. It was good to see at least one of you outside this vacation.
- The next 3 days are going to be focused on Mid Term Review, with Midterms starting next Monday January 7th. More on this shortly.
- Would anyone like a Homework Club bus today? As today is the first day back nobody will be required to stay after school today. Being required to stay after school will get back into being our normal reality next Wednesday the 9th.
- I need to see Driving Without Driving at the start of Site Maintenance from the following students:
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 The Upcoming Month
The next month will focused on the following:
- Short Week 17 (Mid Term Review)
- Site Maintenance
- Review Blender
- Practice for Midterms
- Week 18 (Midterms)
- 5 Days dedicated on creating a 3D scene. All Midterm Work will be presented for grade the Monday of Week 19.
- Week 19 (Grade Midterms and start working on Capstone Projects / Design Competitions)
- Monday we will present Midterms to the class for final grade.
- Tuesday we will start working on Capstone Projects or preparing Design Competitions. Students will decide if they want to work in a team and take part in a Design Competition through the SkillsUSA Organization (Build resume, gain experience, have fun doing something beyond the walls of high school that connects to your career) or work on an independent Capstone Project. There will be dedicated time during the third quarter each week where you are working with your Skills Team, or independently on your Capstone. So long as your grade is high enough to take part, we recommend you working with Design Competitions to gain some real world experience and continue to build your Portfolio. There is nothing wrong with doing the individual Capstone project, except it is what it is, another high school project that ends in this classroom. Design Competitions we take part in include:
- Pin Design (we all gave a shot to)
- Web Design (Team of 2)
- Animation (Team of 2)
- Game Design (Teams of up to 4, but only 2 allowed to present at Nationals to judges from Ubisoft, Bethesda, 343, etc.)
- Week 20 (Start of second semester / Web Design focused Cawd curriculum)
9:50 Introduction to Cawd Midterms
Midterms are going to be focused on creating a 3D scene. There will be a very specific theme that comes out Monday morning which is going to test your abilities in:
- Pre production / planning
- Rendering / Post Production
In the end you will be creating a beautiful scene, as a single final render. Please note that I said scene, and not object. You will create the entire world that you camera sees from whatever angle you choose with the given theme.
Students here for the afternoons will have an additional task of rendering the exact same angle at night in an additional render. Maybe some objects in the scene move, but most importantly the lighting and feel of the render will change. While this won’t require additional modeling and texturing, it will test your abilities as a 3d artist to use light and shadows to change the mood of a scene.
While this is midterm is not going to cover all areas of our first semester, nor have a test, it is going to allow us to throw our energy to creating a single design which will hopefully live in your Portfolio for years to come.
Let’s take a look at the Mid Term Review now so students ready can start immediately.
9:55 Site Maintenance
- Work on your two 20% projects from the the Wednesday and Thursday before vacation.
- Check the What is due.
- Bring over DH 16 | Free Sketch when we meet.
- Get to work on Mid Term Review. I can’t answer any questions next week!
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 17 Mid Term Review: Tinker Toy Scene
Over the next 3 days we are going to build a Tinker Toy Scene in Blender. You will first build the Tinker Toy Parts, and then you will build a scene using Tinker Toys.
If you Google “Tinker Toys Parts” you will find a wide range of pieces to make. Anything piece that exists in the real world for Tinker Toys is available to be used in this scene. I may ask you to prove to me that a piece exists, so make sure that you are following the structures of real tinker toy parts.
The only things in your scene can be non-tinker toys are the ground/water and sky. Everything else must be tinker toy created.
Remember that you are making a complete scene. Not just a train, but a train on a track going across a bridge in a city.
By the end of the day on Friday create a single render called “tinkerMTR.jpg” at 1080p and upload to the “week_17” folder on the web server. This is due Monday, the first day of our Mid Terms.
What we are going to review the next 3 days to help the Review and Mid Term:
- Depth of Field Control
- World Color
- Plane Modeling and Solidify
- Node Editor / Glow / Filters
- UV Placement for decals
- Cuves as pipes
- Samples for rendering