Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 19 and the end of Midterms -> Start of Design Competition Week
- I am terrified of heights but man would this be something to experience.
- Visitors have been canceled this morning – snow days + exams = no bueno.
- Matisse your first Pin Design practice Presentation is tomorrow at 10:30. Anything you need printed or what not, I need it today before you leave.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Final Midterm Production
- 2 Renders
- “(lastname)Midterm.jpg” at 1080p in size in a daytime scene (composition and lighting)
- “(lastname)MidtermNight.jpg” at 1080p in size in a night scene (composition and lighting)
- If you are never here for the afternoons, or have a plan where you don’t do afternoon coursework, you only work on first daytime scene render.
- Place in a folder called “midterm” on the Web Server. This will live next to your weekly folders.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Midterm Presentations for Final Grade
1:00 Attendance and Article
1:05 Midterm Presentations for Final Grade from EHS students missing this morning
1:20 Start of Design Competition Week
Decide what and who you will work on this 3rd Quarter Focus with:
- 3D Animation (team of 2)
- Game Design (team of 2-4)
- Web Design (team of 2)
- Capstone Project (individual project of your own choosing)
In this option you will work week by week on practice projects for the animation competition. Practice projects will require the entire pre-production through editing component. A focus on the 12 Principles of Animations will be a component of each project (though not all at once).
The competition itself is in April and you get 8 hours to storyboard / model / animate / edit and turn your project in. All of our work over the 3rd quarter (during Skills Production Time) is preparing toward that goal.
Once you find a partner, this first weeks assignment is open-ended as I want you to get used to work to working with each other. This weeks prompt:
“As a team, create an animation.”
Model, animate, texture, render, edit, and submit.
Render out at 720p for size for speed.
Call your file “(lastname1Lastname2)Week19Skills.mp4 and upload to both partners Shared Drives. This will be presented by your team for grade on Tuesday morning.
In this option we will begin Game Design process. We have until early April to build a Sample / Prototype of the Game Itself. It is not required to be fully functional by any means. We have seen teams present at the National Game Design Competition with just Art and IP. (We hope to have more than that obviously).
We are going to follow the Software Development Cycle while we work in our team.
This week we are going to work on the following:
Tuesday / Wednesday
Step 1. Planning
Get with your team.
First talk about the type of game you want to create. Create a Mood Board / Inspiration Board as a group that you all agree upon. This type of work will allow you to visually connect to a theme. Find graphics, logos, designs, print screens of game action, real world photos, nature, any type of visual which you want to connect to in your game. Use the following Cork Board image as your base for this. Load it up just as a designer would in the real world. One board per group.
As a team you should be able to say fairly succinctly what your team hopes to create. The genera, the art style, influenced by, etc.
This will be presented this Thursday morning for the first component of your grade.
Thursday / Friday
Step 2. Analysis
What do you have to learn how to do?
Who is going to be responsible for learning / doing what? I recommend you have 2 artists / 2 programmers, etc. Always have a backup, and someone to help the other out. If a programmer can’t figure out AI, have someone built in to help.
Start learning and working. Learn how to use screen capture software / take print screens to demonstrate your work, what you have learned about, implemented, and present your progress.
One group presentation. This will be presented next Tuesday as the 2nd component of your grade.
Web Design (team of 2)
Create an account on Code Academy and do the Introduction to HTML Lesson and Learn CSS Lesson. You have this week to complete. You will show me the completed lessons on your dashboard as proof of completion.
This will be presented next Tuesday morning.
Let’s talk individually to nail down your project and benchmarks.