Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 2
- Any last Start of School Paperwork? Get it in!
- I don’t know, but I feel the OS doesn’t have all the bugs out yet.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Adjusted Tuesday’s at ehs – what this means for Cawd
How this impacts ehs students:
- Due to the scheduling changes that ehs makes, their students that are in ehs 7/8 classes get out at 1:35. They then go home – but you are welcome to come back and work.
- If you are an ehs student in Cawd, ehs expects that you stay to the end of our day, which is 2:05. This may impact you A days, B days, or both.
- If you must leave at 1:35 I have been instructed to allow you to leave, but I have to send in your names to my Principal and she is going to call home and make sure that everything is above board. It is called “Duty of care” and I need to make sure everyone is safe. It is what it is.
In the end this means that EHS students don’t get a really early release afternoons they are in Cawd, but every other day you get out 30 minutes earlier. So you are still up 90 minutes over the course of the week – don’t look the gift horse in the mouth.
How this impacts the rest of us:
- Early lunch on Tuesday’s only.
- Extra site of “Silent Site Maintenance” from 12:20 until 12:40:
- 12:35 EHS students move to 7/8
- 12:40 CTE students move to 7/8
- 12:40:01 Cawd gets back into normal afternoon work
This is new to everyone, it may only last a year, who knows. Many families don’t like it. It is what ehs is doing now, so we we have to adapt and roll with it.
9:55 Design Homework #2: Castle Farm
Afternoons this week in Cawd are going to be spent exploring two different types of projects: a castle, and a farm.
We typcially do multiple “mini” projects along side larger projects. The mini projects often are to practice skills which are then brought into the larger projects. The Castle and Farm mini projects will build the skills which go into the bedroom project.
For your Design Homework this week (DH2) I want you to explore what the form would look like if both prompts were explored into a single topic – a “Castle Farm”. Take the next page of your sketchbook and design a “farm” which has heavy castle elements. Maybe it is like the above image where a castle is now used as a farm. Maybe it’s something a bit more period where the castle (at the height of its existence) IS a farm.
Explore the topic, play around, create something interesting. Remember the design elements you come up with (tower for example) can connect right into the afternoon coursework of this week.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
10:00 Sketchbooks with DH1: Bedroom Pre-production
- I hope to grade today during break.
- First let’s take a photo of the assignment to use in the future if we don’t have our sketchbook.
- Second let’s put them on the back table.
10:10 Site Maintenance
- What is “Site Maintenance“?
- What is a “What is due“?
- This will happen at the start of every week going forward (99.9% on Monday’s)
- The focus this morning will be working to finish your projects to being grade ready.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
- I am going to quickly grade DH1 during break – leave the sketchbooks!
11:00 Saving .jpg’s for grading and presentation
- Saving .jpg’s from Photoshop
- Exporting .jpg’s from Illustrator
11:10 FTP Accounts / Logging into to the Cawd Server
Now that we have finished the projects from Week 1, we are now going to “log into” the server. We all have dedicated accounts which connect to the Cawd Webserver Student Work sections. You will need 4 “things” to log into the Cawd Web Server:
- FTP Software
- Host name
When I go to grade your work, I will go to the “Student Work” section of Cawd, and I click on your name. You will manage your space on the Cawd server in a consistent, organized manner. This organized grouping of folders and files will be used for:
- Sharing work
- Showing off work to friends / families / colleges / employers.
Now as we learn how to do this, we are going to mess up.
This angers me.
It isn’t your fault though. And here is why:
An IP address is a numeric way to identify your specific computer. Each computer has a different ip address.
But but but … let’s all click here. Hmm…not very specific.
I have our Web Server setup so that if someone tries to hack it (maybe trying ftp usernames and passwords) it will prevent access from that hackers ip address for a small amount of time. They keep trying to hack the password, they get locked out.
The issue with our situation is:
- We are ALL on a single IP.
- If 2 kids make a mistake in their password, the Web Server thinks a hacker is attacking the Web Server guessing passwords, and blocks our IP.
- Even though it was likely us just learning how to log in, the fact that it is all from a single IP can be problematic.
So, we will mess it up, it will come back, life will go on. We will adapt and roll with it.
The rest of the morning is going to be dedicated to:
- Completing work.
- Learning how to log in.
- Setting up a folder for “week_01”.
- Uploading and checking on work for grading.
- If you are fully “done” start working on the Castle (B day afternoon kids) or Farm (A day afternoon kids) projects.
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:25 Silent Site Maintenance
- On Tuesday’s and Tuesday’s alone we have a 20 minute window of Silent Site Maintenance. Think of this as quiet production time, get questions answered, etc. Not for socialization, games, videos, “looking for a song”, etc.
12:30 EHS Students Leave
12:40 CTE Students Leave
Tuesday / Thursday B Day Afternoon Blender Exercise: Castle
Today and Thursday afternoons we are going to work in Blender and create a “Castle”. Now this will be a Castle made of primitive building blocks, nothing photo realistic.
We are going to push ourselves as much as we can, but at the same time we are going to realize this is one of our first projects in Blender. The goal of this project is to do much of the lower end basic learning of the interface, modeling tools, materials, and lighting so that we can transfer these skills into our larger bedroom project.
You will get 2 afternoons to create your project – Tuesday and Thursday. At the end of the project you are going to create 3 renders (which you don’t know how to do yet, we will learn this Wednesday) called “lastnameCastle_1.jpg” through “lastnameCastle_3.jpg”. This will create 3 final renders of your work to present at the end.
For now we are just going to focus on creating your Castle itself. This is going to be a lot of learning through questions, but remember we have access to:
- The Primitive objects we have through “shift-A”.
- The Node editor and materials we can create.
You can use a reference image if you would like. You can try to create the Disney Castle, or Helms Deep, but you don’t have to. Some of the best Castle’s have been original designs.
Dailies will be at 1:55 today. Have fun, start asking questions, start modeling and becoming more comfortable with the program.