Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 2!
- Cameron – paperwork?
- As per our conversation last week about Friday morning college options, I have 4 seniors that need to take the Accuplacer test today at 12:40. This test is a battery of 3 or 4 tests (depending on how you do) which will determine eligibility for the college Drawing or Python classes. Donovan / Maya / Harold / Eric need to be in student services at 12:40 to work with Mr. Curtis / Emmy.
- I again have a meeting tomorrow morning and the class will be open at about 9:15.
- From now on, whenever I say call a file “castleCronin_1.jpg” (or any file with “Cronin”), always rotate out my name with yours. I won’t say this again for the rest of the year, but you should never turn in a file labeled “Cronin”.
- Thursday September 14th is the CTE “Family Night” where we invite your family in to see your work, meet your teachers, etc. It starts at 6pm in the cafeteria, and then we get to Cawd pretty quick. Students that attend with family / guardian receive a letter grade extra credit to your Worker Trait component for Week 3. Please tell your family now, get off work, etc!
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework #1: Bedroom Preproduction on the back tables
- Make sure you have signed your work on the bottom right corner legibly.
- Have this weeks DH up, and aligned with the others.
- We will pick these up before lunch.
Typically I grade Design Homework’s during our English class on Monday…but today isn’t Monday, and I will take a look at break.
Design Homework #2: Free Sketch
DH2 is going to be the next page in your sketchbook. DH2 is going to be open ended, where you can sketch anything you want. Something literal, something abstract, an object, text art, a level for a video game, a logo for your brand – really anything at all, so long as it is new art.
You will find Cawd strives to have a nice balance between Mr. Cronin saying “Draw X, Y, and Z” and a truly free creative experience.
This will be due the start of next week (the first day of the week). Sign and date legibly in the bottom right corner.
9:50 Photoshop Review
- Moving / Free Transform
- Grouping / Merging
- Saving .psd / Saving a .jpg for quick viewing
10:10 Maya Review
- Basics of creating primatives
- Editing primatives
- The Hypershade
- Rendering / Render sizes
- Saving a .mb file / Saving a .jpg for quick viewing
10:40 iMac Storage / Documents Folder / Organization
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Site Maintenance
We typically start the week with a session of “Site Maintenance”. In this dedicated hour of time we get to independently wrap up projects for grading on Wednesday. Remember how Cawd works, we do work Monday -> Friday, and all of it is due Wednesday at 3pm.
What we are doing now typically happens Monday at 9:45.
Students will use the morning to work on different projects they have to finish / polish, and ensure they are ready to be graded.
The “What is due” model
Each week I give you a “What is due”. It will specifically tell you what I am will be grading, the naming convention of the files, etc. It is also linked to our Dayplans themselves, so if you have questions on an assignment, everything is linked together. Let’s take a look at the Week 1 “What is due” together.
Where does my work go?
Now where does all this work go? The Cawd Web Server. This server will be where we store all non-animated / film production work.
How does it get from my local iMac, to the Web Server?
We will use Cyberduck in class as our FTP tool. This isn’t the only one to use, but it works and is free.
I have emailed you passwords – and apparently confused a couple of you. Go check your email now.
Let’s show you how to log into the server.
“Monday” Morning Meetings
While students are using Site Maintenance, I will call over each of you to meet with me on the other side of the room. These one on one meetings can range from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, depending on what we are going to discuss. In these meetings we will talk about how you did last week, where you lost points (being loud, messy station, etc) and where you did well (helping others, article comments, etc).
This is also when you can ask questions you may not be comfortable asking in the full class environment. If you aren’t clear on a topic, let me know individually and I can review with the entire class, and nobody will ever know it was you that asked the question. Is there something social going on, bullying, harassment, etc? Let me know individually and again nobody will know – but you have done the right thing.
This is a session of independent work. The volume should be quiet, and you can make progress on your work. When you think you are done you can study for our quiz, work on upcoming projects, or something Cawd related. There is always something to do.
Library quiet, in your seats, working.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Tuesday / Thursday Maya Exercise: Castle
Continuing on what we started to build last week, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons in Week 2 are going to be for Castle scene development. You will have two afternoons to get your Castle to a level which you are happy with, and has enough detail to get the A or the B.
Save your Maya file as “castleCronin.mb” into your “week_2” folder in Documents on your iMac for storage.
At the end of the day on Thursday you are going to create 3 renders at 720p and call them:
These three renders should first be saved in your “week_2” folder in your Documents folder as well.
These three renders will go into your “week_2” folder on the Cawd web server for grading. I do not want the Maya file on the web server – it takes up space, and I can’t open a .mb file in the browser anyway. These three renders will not be graded until Wednesday September 13th, so don’t stress. Yet.
At 1:25 today we are going to go over Image Based Lighting for your Castle project.
1:25 Maya Content
- IBL – Image based lighting