Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 21!
- Neat ceiling supports for the Stuttgart airport with passing resemblance to trees, bringing nature into architectural design.
- We are going to start our unit on Typography this week, the art of using Text to create interesting designs. We will start today using clipping masks to create Typographic art with image based fills.
- Tomorrow we are having visitors from BHS. Students will be selected to show students their work, talk about what we do, etc. Ahmed – as our BHS rep you are going to be leaned on heavily. Whenever we have visitors, we have extra credit to make it more than worthwhile.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Thursday / Friday CTE to CTE Visitors
Thursday and Friday afternoons this week we are going to have some visitors from other CTE programs that want to check out Cawd for next year. I am going have some students work with these visitors over the afternoons to show them around, but also do a bit of a Design Contest for fun.
The visitor and the Cawd student will work together to create a single render in Blender using emissive materials and the compositor based around a theme – different theme for Thursday and Friday.
- The visiting student is going to be the Creative Director (as they won’t know how to DO anything).
- The Cawd student will be the Digital Artist, and DO what the CD wants.
At the end of the day we will have the the partner projects posted to dailies and have a class vote. The “best” project gets a nice German pencil kit as a prize – both the visiting student and the Cawd student. The goal is we welcome people into our program, but do a bit more than just show them our work. I want them integrated into our design process. It will involve:
- Meeting each other
- Getting the prompt
- Doing some paper brainstorming / concept art
- Working in Blender
- Uploading for the contest judging
I will be speaking with a number of you this morning about this opportunity. Not only do you get the chance for prizes, but you get extra credit, and get out of doing the in class project the others are working on.
If you are NOT working with a visitor you are going to work on a Thursday / Friday Google based project as normal. That’s not bad either.
9:50 Design Homework 21 | Still Life Baseline
As you know our Quarters in Cawd are dedicated to different traditional design specialties which many art schools (such as Champlain) are looking for in their portfolios when applying. The 3rd Quarter focus is going to be “Still Life’s“.
A traditional still life is a “painting or drawing of an arrangement of objects, typically including fruit and flowers and objects contrasting with these in texture, such as bowls and glassware.” We will work with many of these subjects this quarter.
This first week will be trying to get a baseline idea of what your skills are as a class. Turn to the next page in your Sketchbook and create a Still Life sketch of something at home which is plugged in. I want something electronic / mechanical that has visible cables. It could be:
- Video game console
For example headphones could look like:
Choose a singular object (or low number of objects) and place them on a surface. The focus is the object, and where it exists.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
9:55 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 21 “What is due”. All work due today at 11AM (getting back into the swing of “normal” school.)
- The new Vocab is posted, Quiz on Friday, and Jean-Marie has created the Quizlet.
- We will meet individually this morning at 11.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday Afternoon Typography Exercises
This afternoon we are going to work on a couple different mini projects in Photoshop getting us practice with Clipping Masks, this time with text.
First we are going to do a Typography project where we are looking at YOU and your history of Concerts / Music that you like. This will go from about 12:50 to 1:25.
Second we are going to do a Typography project where we act as designers for the Vermont Department of Tourism where we create a “VERMONT” graphic to be used in some promotional material to lure in tourists. This will go from about 1:25 to 1:50
This projects will practice:
- Clipping Masks
- Layer Effects
- Alignment tools (maybe)
Both will be posted to dailies for credit. You post, you get credit. You don’t, you get a zero. Everything presented at 1:55 today.