Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Students may stay and work today until 3pm for the Cawd Homework Club. Would anyone like a bus? Remember that you are required to stay after school and get caught up if missing anything.
- Quiz Friday – make sure you are studying!
- Creative use of Typography to get interest for pub.
- The tanks are evolving.
- Remember that Thursday / Friday afternoon we are going to be having some visitors paired up with Cawd Students, doing a design competition, for extra credit and prizes. Shower, brush your teeth, etc.
- I am not sure of the utility of this type of design, but it is visually interesting. Love to see a view from in the trench.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Skills Production Time
Game Design Teams
We are in Phase 3 / Design. Independently you are going to work on the different specialities and roles you have defined for yourselves in your group. You are going to create a folder called “skills” inside of “week_21” which in which you put work product from this weeks (2) hour long work sessions at the start of Wednesday and Friday.
Some may be working on art assets and showing me renders. Some may be working on code and giving me print screens of your coding environment. Some working in music and giving me .mp3’s. Regardless, all work goes inside of “skills” folder (inside “week_21”) on the Web Server. Use our FTP software (Cyberduck) to upload the work.
How much you present / how well your will create your grade.
Rough Schedule of our calendar and phases of the Software Development Cycle
Week 20 / Phase 3
- Week 21 (This week) / Phase 3
- Week 22 /Phase 4 (Start putting together the art and the code)
- Week 23 /Phase 4
- Week 24 /Phase 4 (Get a minimum viable product built by the end of Week 23 / Before February Vacation)
- Week 25 / Phase 5 (Start Alpha Testing, lots of revision. Think of this as the first draft.)
- Week 26 / Phase 5
- Week 27 / Phase 5
- Week 28 / Phase 5 (Start Beta Testing, less revision, more fine detail adjustments. “I think this is the final draft.”)
- Week 29 / Phase 5
- Week 30 – Vermont State Competition (The FINAL Draft)
Over the 3rd Quarter we are going to work on (2) 5 week projects with February vacation being the division point.
The times we will have (2 hours per week) will roughly match up with the amount of time that you are going to have at the Vermont State Animation Competition.
Animation Topic #1: Titanic
Titanic is a classic animation test. It combines:
- Pretty amazing visuals:
- Ocean scene
- Giant piece of mechanical engineering
- Natural obstacles
- A story / tragedy everyone knows
- The juxtaposition of humanity branding the ship “Unsinkable”, along with nature just saying “Nah.”
This will be your schedule for this project:
Week 20 / Asset Creation
- Week 21 (This week) / Asset Creation Completed – everything is modeled / textured and ready to start animating.
- Week 22 / Animation (with a focus on the Principles of Staging, Anticipation, and Follow Through and Overlapping Action. We are going to have to see these in you animation, camera placement, and editing, just as if you worked for Pixar.)
- Week 23 / Animation
- Week 24 / Editing and creation of final draft animation
You are going to create a folder called “skills” inside of “week_21” which in which you put work product from this weeks (2) hour long work sessions at the start of Wednesday and Friday. This week you will work individually and create renders if what you did in the project. While you are working individually, make sure you connect with each other often during the work sessions so you stay on visual theme. For example Kurt doesn’t want to be making a low-poly titanic if Jean-Marie is making a photo realistic ice berg. Pick a unifying visual and connect to it.
You will likely turn static renders in for Week 20 and 21 (on the Web Server). Weeks 23 and on will be dailies and animation examples (on Google drive).
As a team you can decide:
- Art Style (If the main ideas are there, it doesn’t have to be Photorealistic)
- Color Palette (Again, can be stylized)
- Level of Detail (Low poly could be A OK)
- Main roles (while both will have to model and animate, there will be a lead modeler and a lead animator).
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Tuesday / Wednesday Two Part Photoshop Typographic Exercise: Motivational and Song Typography
Check back to the Tuesday dayplan for specifics. Remember this is a 2 part project!