Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- The CTE Open House is tomorrow 11-2. Please tell any “good people” that may like what we do in Cawd.
- Remember before you leave today:
- Everything off the desktop.
- Have the background we setup as a class.
- Make sure I can access Unreal – have your account saved. (We are also going to use Blender.)
- Take home any personal item that you can’t live without (I doubt anything will happen, but to be sure.)
- Quiz today – spin through the articles at break for a chance at the extra credit.
- During Skills Production Remember that each student needs to present and upload work separately, even if your work overlaps. I want each of you to have a snapshot of work that you had a hand in producing for each week:
- Game Teams – “skills” folder with assets on Web Server (static assets) or Shared Drive (animations)
- Animation Teams – “skills” folder on Shared Google Drive (as your are now into animations). Previews or renders. Storyboard turned in now to start the morning – I hope to get it back to you within 20 minutes.
- Ben Buscher and Matisse you have a meeting in the Auditorium today at 1pm today until the end of the day, so please bring your stuff, you don’t have to stay the entire time, and you may want to come back to Cawd at 1:30…maybe.
- This afternoon is going to be different, no 20, prepping for Open House.
- Anyone that turned in missing work yesterday I am going to grade it during Quiz time – I didn’t forget about you, I hear you.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Skills Production Time
Game Design Teams
We are entering Phase 4 – Implementation. It is not time that you start fully working as a team to combine your art and code together.
You are still being graded individually. You are going to create a folder called “skills” inside of “week_22” which in which you put work product from this weeks (2) hour long work sessions at the start of Wednesday and Friday. You your teammates may need to share some work back and forth to make sure that you each have work product to present for your grade.
Rough Schedule of our calendar and phases of the Software Development Cycle
Week 20 / Phase 3 Week 21 (This week) / Phase 3
- Week 22 /Phase 4 (This week) Start putting together the art and the code – please note the Week 24 Target.
- Week 23 /Phase 4
- Week 24 /Phase 4 (Get a minimum viable product built by the end of Week 24 / Before February Vacation. I want to be able to play your game before February vacation – even if very buggy, broken, etc. Think of this as a sample to get people interested in your project. What do you as a team need to build to create this minimum viable product of the game? Maybe you don’t need all the art assets, but you do probably need all the elements for your mechanic to be playable. Something playable.)
- Week 25 / Phase 5 (Start Alpha Testing, lots of revision. Think of this as the first draft.)
- Week 26 / Phase 5
- Week 27 / Phase 5
- Week 28 / Phase 5 (Start Beta Testing, less revision, more fine detail adjustments. “I think this is the final draft.”)
- Week 29 / Phase 5
- Week 30 – Vermont State Competition (The FINAL Draft)
Over the 3rd Quarter we are going to work on (2) 5 week projects with February vacation being the division point.
The times we will have (2 hours per week) will roughly match up with the amount of time that you are going to have at the Vermont State Animation Competition.
Animation Topic #1: Titanic
Titanic is a classic animation test. It combines:
- Pretty amazing visuals:
- Ocean scene
- Giant piece of mechanical engineering
- Natural obstacles
- A story / tragedy everyone knows
- The juxtaposition of humanity branding the ship “Unsinkable”, along with nature just saying “Nah.”
This will be your schedule for this project:
Week 20 / Asset Creation Week 21 / Asset Creation Completed – everything is modeled / textured and ready to start animating.
- Week 22 (This week) / Animation (with a focus on the Principles of Staging, Anticipation, and Follow Through and Overlapping Action. We are going to have to see these in you animation, camera placement, and editing, just as if you worked for Pixar.)
- Week 23 / Animation
- Week 24 / Editing and creation of final draft animation
You are going to create a folder called “skills” inside of “week_22” which in which you put work product from this weeks (2) hour long work sessions at the start of Wednesday and Friday. This week you will work individually and create renders if what you did in the project.
Week 22 Deliverables
Using Storyboard paper I want you to plan out your animation as a team. I want you not only thinking about composition of your models and shots, but how you are going to apply 3 specific Principles of Animation to your Titanic Animation:
Make sure that as teams you watch these short explanations of the principals and are ready to implement them into your animation. How you are going to implement then into your animation should show up in your storyboard.
Your animation and storyboard has to visualize the entire Titanic journey. At a minimum the boat must be sailing in daytime at a start (but you could start on a dock if you like), and the boat must be fully sunk at the end.
The storyboard is due at the start of our Skills Production Time on Friday. Make sure you finish today, or plan to work with your partner to get it done outside of class. No staples! Use paperclips so you can take them apart, put them back together, over and over.
Once your storyboard is done / handed in, get to work on the actual animation. I hope to get you back your Storyboards 20 minutes after you turn them in so you can use them while you work – as they are pretty important.
10:25 Cawd Study Group
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Week 21 Quiz
- Silent until noon.
- Stay in your seats.
- When complete move silently into our post quiz sketch.
- Click here.
11:20 Friday Morning Sketching Content: Intro to Shading Basic Forms
In this video we are going to cover some of the basics of shading. Watch the short resource and at the end produce a sketch which resembles the final done by the artist:
Sign and date, put on back table by lunch.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Site Maintenance
- Wrap up work from the week
- Any questions on Web Related work? Great time to ask and get help.
1:10 Friday Afternoon Pre-Open House Cleaning
All over the school classrooms are getting ready for Open House. I need your help to get this room the way it needs to be:
We need to:
- Wipe down all the tables with Clorox wipes
- Clean all the monitors
- Cinch Cables
- Test ALL computers
Now I realize that you didn’t sign up for “Cleaning Animation and Web Page Design“. So I thought we could do a bit of a dance where you help me out with cleaning and setup for half the afternoon, and then maybe the rest of the afternoon I will offer a “Hybrid Site Maintenance”.