Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Quizzes on Friday morning. 15% of your grade are the quizzes, typically 9 new, 1 review, and 1 extra credit question from our articles.
This years Sat / Act prep work comes from “100 Most Common SAT Words” by Quizlet. As we are using their list to pull from you are able to use their free study tools. Make a free account so you add the new words to your Study Bank. As the weeks go by and you are studying from this ever growing word bank, you will find that your vocabulary (speaking and retention) has improved.
Let’s make you smarter, and get another 500 points on some of this standardized testing which right or wrong impacts your educational path.
Sat / Act prep
- Enhance – improve, augment. “The student enhanced their portfolio for college by adding an improved Still Life sketch.”
- Ephemeral – momentary, fleeting. “The student had an ephemeral enjoyment of the Hammer in Smash Brothers; he knew it was going to run out.”
- Evanescent – short-lived, as an image. “Snapchat may SAY messages are evanescent, but we all know they can be saved quite easily.”
- Reflections in design are “mirrors” of content, often at an opposite angle and with image decay of some sort. The reflections are typically not as apparent as the originating object. For example, we see a reflection of the city with less clarity due to the moving water.
- Refractions are where light bends due to curves/ contours/changes on a surface. We often see these in design when doing Still Life drawings with circular glass containers.
- Gameplay systems, narratives, levels, quests, puzzles, worlds: these are the areas of expertise for game designers. Equal parts a creative and analytical person and a builder, a student in a Game Design major has a passion for mapping out, developing and creating the gameplay that defines a player’s unique game experience. This is different from both building the art assets (Game Art) and actually programming the game (Game Programming).
- An Elevator Pitch is a succinct and persuasive sales pitch. The idea is if you get into an elevator with John Lasseter and you want him to buy your idea for Pixar’s next great movie, you are trapped in a box with him for 30 seconds. You need to make the most of your opportunity.
- Kinetic Typography is the art of animating type (often the only design element) matched up to an audio source. The audio could be a song, an advertisement, a speech, etc.
- Adobe After Effects is an industry standard for motion graphics, including Kinetic Typography. After Effects is a Cawd2 topic.
- Particle Systems can be used to create effects such as the Bad Piggies Rocket Engines. They can give the illusion of a rocket engine, bubbles, rain, or other real-world elements which require a great deal of speed combined with random or chaotic nature.