Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 23!
- Today we are going to have a visitor (Isaiah will host) and therefore have an adjusted break and English will start at 11:05.
- We have two weeks until vacation! This means that the quiz THIS FRIDAY will determine what we do the Friday before break. As you know we have to get a 90 or higher as a class to get the Game Day. We have not reached this goal the first two quizzes of 2019, and last week our average was an 80.1. So, unless you all get in gear we may not have a Game Day next Friday – first time in years that would happen in Cawd, but up to you. Even if we don’t have a Game Day I would still be up for skating during 7/8 so long as it is available to us (it should be). Start studying today. If anyone wants to run some Kahoots or do some class studying to (I am not running it, but I could carve out some time if you want to work as a class) I may be amenable, talk to me. It has worked in the past for Cawd – Rose and Maliki I believe ran them for us last year.
- Monday through Thursday Afternoons in Cawd this week – Kinetic Typography! Studies have shown that students may do better by learning from a diverse set of mediums. This week we are going to do some peer to peer learning through Jimmy from Cawd2. He has become very good at After Effects, and is going to teach us the basics of Kinetic Typography. I have no idea how to use After Effects. None. I can probably open it up. Maybe. This weeks afternoons are going to be different, but really good for all of us because:
- Teaching something is a great way to learn and reinforce knowledge (this is good for Jimmy).
- You get to learn something from a different voice (it isn’t all me all the time).
- I am don’t want to prevent learning form new and great things in Cawd just because I don’t know them. In our industries anyone that says “I know it all” is a liar, or an idiot. Don’t trust them. There is always more to learn and experience.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 DH 23 | Cups, Napkin, & Spoon
DH 22 was learning how to sketch a coffee cup.
Our Friday Morning Sketch was looking at shading different shapes/volumes.
DH 23 will be to combine these lessons together. While you don’t have to draw the exact image you see above, you could for the “A”.
DH 23 Requirements
- 2 Cups – with handles facing opposite directions. This will allow you to explore and practice how light and shading interacts with both sides of the handle.
- Both on a napkin.
- Have a spoon resting on the napkin. Can be fully on it as above, or just a portion of it as if you used it already.
- On a table.
- Include appropriate shading demonstrating light sources and shadows.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
9:50 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 22 “What is due” – work due today at 11.
- Start Studying NOW.
- Sign and date your Cup and Saucer DH | 22, and bring over when we meet.
- Work on other Cawd work.
10:10 Early Break (15 Minutes)
10:25 Site Maintenance
11:05 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday / Tuesday Adobe After Effects Learning with Jimmy
Afternoons of Cawd for Week 23 are going to be focused on the final type of Typography we are going to study in Cawd: Kinetic Typography.
Kinetic refers to moving / motion, and Typography is the art of words.
This week we are going to create animated typographic projects which connect to a song lyric, a speech, or a section of a movie.
Here is a great example from a speech in the movie “Network”
Another great example from a movie “Fight Club”
Finally, a nice song which is so far beyond what we are ever going to be able to do right now, but a nice way to get inspired.
The weeks workflow
Monday / Tuesday
- Do a step by step Kinetic Typography project as a class based around a portion of the song “We are the Champions” by Queen.
- Practice and explore the After Effects interface (This is a Cawd2 program, I will be learning with you).
- Get good (or at least not total trash).
We are the champions, my friends
And we’ll keep on fighting ’til the end
Wednesday / Thursday
- Select your own song lyric / movie quote / portion of speech to create for. Look for 15-20 words, similar to what we had done earlier in the week with Queen.
- Do it.