Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Hope everyone enjoyed their snow day! I went out snowboarding and skiing at Smuggs. Hope you all did more than just sit inside and play video games.
- Friday Game Day Quiz!
- We have Colchester High School Visiting today. This means an early break. There is a chance this is canceled as the snow day breaks all sorts of schedules. For example, we were supposed to have South Burlington High School visit yesterday during our snow day.
- Students working with visitors first session (9:45 – 10:05)
- Students working with visitors second session (10:35 – 11:05)
- Everyone me be ready for more visitors, or these all to flake because of the snow day. We will roll with whatever happens. Remember the extra credit…
- Students working with visitors first session (9:45 – 10:05)
- We are going to have our Skills production time from Wednesday to Thursday, so we will have portions of both Thursday and Friday for Skills Production to keep us on track.
- We are going to shift Wednesday Afternoon’s Kinetic Typography project production time to Friday Afternoon, so everyone gets the time they need to do the project at “A” level.
- First college Web Dev assignment will come out next Wednesday with the expectation that it is done at home – it just happens to be vacation and that is just fine.
9:45 Week 23 Skills Production
Game Design Teams
We are entering Phase 4 – Implementation. It is now time that you start fully working as a team to combine your art and code together.
Rough Schedule of our calendar and phases of the Software Development Cycle
Week 20 / Phase 3 Week 21 (This week) / Phase 3 Week 22 /Phase 4
- Week 23 /Phase 4 (This week)
- Week 24 /Phase 4 (Get a minimum viable product built by the end of Week 24 / Before February Vacation. I want to be able to play your game before February vacation – even if very buggy, broken, etc. Think of this as a sample to get people interested in your project. What do you need to do as a team to build to create this minimum viable product of the game? Maybe you don’t need all the art assets, but you do probably need all the elements for your mechanic to be playable. Something playable, with a mechanic I can test out.)
- Week 25 / Phase 5 (Start Alpha Testing, lots of revision. Think of this as the first draft.)
- Week 26 / Phase 5
- Week 27 / Phase 5
- Week 28 / Phase 5 (Start Beta Testing, less revision, more fine detail adjustments. “I think this is the final draft.”)
- Week 29 / Phase 5
- Week 30 – Vermont State Competition (The FINAL Draft)
You are being graded individually. You are going to create a folder called “skills” inside of “week_23” which in which you put work product from this weeks (2) hour long work sessions at the start of Thursday and Friday. Your teammates may need to share some work back and forth to make sure that you each have work product to present for your grade.
Animation Topic #1: Titanic
Week 20 / Asset Creation Week 21 / Asset Creation Completed – everything is modeled / textured and ready to start animating. Week 22 (This week) / Animation (with a focus on the Principles of Staging, Anticipation, and Follow Through and Overlapping Action. We are going to have to see these in your animation, camera placement, and editing, just as if you worked for Pixar.)
- Week 23 / Animation (This week)
- Week 24 / Editing and creation of final draft animation
You have 4 hours left to animate / render / REVISE / edit / Post Production / Sound / Turn project in. This project will be turned in before vacation, which is only 7 school days away!
All animation team production goes into the “week_23” folder on the shared drive as we should be fully in animation production. Remember that each of you need to demonstrate what you worked on.
10:10 Early Break (15 Minutes)
10:25 Week 23 Skills Production Time
~ and ~
Cawd Study Group
11:05 Flexbox Froggy
The Flexbox Display Model in CSS gives Front End Web Designers a powerful tool for creating and managing the arrangement of items such as navigation bars, image galleries, etc.
This morning we are going to use an online resource to help us learn the different properties Flexbox. Flexbox Froggy is learning game where you level up by typing in the correct CSS properties and values. If your answer is correct you will put your frog on its lilypad. Only by putting the correct frogs on the correct lily pad do you move on to the next round.
The instructions are at the top, and the different CSS properties and values you can use are explained. Read and practice – think of these are logic puzzles where you are going to experiment with the code to get the desired result.
There are 24 rounds you must get through. As a teacher it took me 8 minutes. I have give you 70.
#24 is by far the hardest
So I thought I would help and solve that one for you. If you think you are smart try to solve it on your own first, but here is the solution:
Once you beat all 24 rounds (type in the solution to #24 manually if you can’t get it) and have the success screen you must show me for credit! I won’t accept “I finished but closed my browser, trust me”.
You have to show me this by lunch.
When you are complete…
Use the rest of your time for Site Maintenance, as we lost Homework Club yesterday afternoon. I would love to have everyone fully up to date before we leave for school today!
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Thursday / Friday Self Directed Kinetic Typography Exercise
Today and Friday afternoon we are going to be working on our Self Directed Typography Project. Some of us have already started, some of us will be starting today.
The minimum goal is to get 15 words synced up to your portion of a song / speech / movie / cartoon / etc. Students that want to go above and beyond please do so to ensure the “A” and maybe a Motion Graphic portfolio piece!
Jimmy Jiang is going to be in our room Thursday and Friday afternoons to mill around with me and help where needed. Don’t struggle, ask him for help – he is good people, don’t be intimidated.
Export your .mp4 as “(lastname)KineticTypography.mp4” and upload to the “week_23” folder on your Shared Drive as this is an animation.
Most of you will get 1 afternoon for this, so be efficient and don’t spend much time finding the “perfect clip” – don’t let that slow down your progress.
Dailies at 1:55 as normal.