Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Today is another Tumultuous Tuesday! Schedules changed accordingly. Everyone returns at 12:20 after lunch except students EHS 7/8 classes.
- Typographic guitar I found on r/design this morning.
- Interesting illustration style of stamps being released honoring military dogs.
- Big Quiz Friday….
- Lots of missing work yesterday – let’s plan to get it turned in today so you are not required to stay after school for tomorrow’s Cawd Homework Club.
- Adobe After Effects – pretty neat promo video I saw yesterday. For those looking for new and interesting 20% topics, AE is very poplar in the Motion Graphic industry.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Morning Web Design Content
- Review of:
- Center Channel Layouts
- Setting up a 4 page website through duplication
- New HTML elements
- The Flexbox Model
- Dead Links
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Tuesday Morning Web Design Exercise: Setting up Homepage with Horizontal Nav
Today I want you working on Version 5 of our Homepage.
You are going to adjust what we currently have to:
- include a nav element and the following dead links (links with an href=”#”) that say :
- use the flexbox model to ensure that your links are equally distributed left to right in your section
Make sure your homepage says V5!
Any remaining time use to get late work turned in or study for Friday’s Quiz.
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:25 Silent Site Maintenance / Missing Work Check
- Check to see if you are missing any work / after school for tomorrows Cawd Homework Club.
- Work on anything Cawd related / Design Homework / College Homework
- 12:40 Departures for CTE students.
12:45 Monday / Tuesday Adobe After Effects Learning with Jimmy
Afternoons of Cawd for Week 23 are going to be focused on the final type of Typography we are going to study in Cawd: Kinetic Typography.
Kinetic refers to moving / motion, and Typography is the art of words.
This week we are going to create animated typographic projects which connect to a song lyric, a speech, or a section of a movie.
Here is a great example from a speech in the movie “Network”.
Another great example from a movie “Fight Club”
Finally, a nice song which is so far beyond what we are ever going to be able to do right now, but a nice way to get inspired.
The weeks workflow
Monday / Tuesday
- Do a step by step Kinetic Typography project as a class based around a portion of the song “We are the Champions” by Queen.
- Practice and explore the After Effects interface (This is a Cawd2 program, I will be learning with you).
- Get good (or at least not total trash).
We are the champions, my friends
And we’ll keep on fighting ’til the end
Wednesday / Thursday
- Select your own song lyric / movie quote / portion of speech to create for. Look for 15-20 words, similar to what we had done earlier in the week with Queen.
- Do it.
** Students that did the “We are the Champions” step by step yesterday with Jimmy
You are going to start their Wednesday / Thursday Typographic Animation now.
Pick a speech / part of a movie / song / etc to do a Kinetic Typography project with. At a minimum we are looking for 15 words, but of course there are students that are going to want to ensure they get the “A” and push themselves to more.
Go to a website like Clip Converter or Youtube to MP3 and get an mp3 to use in After Effects (educational use, we aren’t stealing).
Use Adobe Audition to Trim the clip to the portion to you want (if it is too long).
Bring into After Effects and get to it! You are not limited to what we learned, if you google After Effects tutorials on Google / YouTube you will found thousands and thousands of effects, animations, and visuals you can create.
The file name when complete will be “(lastName)KineticTypography.mp4”.