Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 26! This is the Calm before the Storm.
- Birthday Week!
- Remember that tomorrow at 9:45 we are going to present Week 25 Capstone work to the class for a grade. Remember what your team said they were going to complete.
- Hey, whats this note for?
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Step Up Day 2018
- What it is – you know this, but to review it is a day which makes Mr. Cronin unbelievably uncomfortable and I hate it to death.
- When it is – Thursday, March 29th – not this Thursday, but next Thursday. 10-ish days from now.
- What you will be responsible for on Thursday, March 29th:
- Cawd Project (Reading and response writeup)
- English Project
- Done at home. Unless you are applying for a different program (for example Jordan is applying to printing) you are staying home but still doing work. We have to be somewhat creative with due dates (such as the work being due the day immediately after) but we need you guys out of the room so we can host new applicants.
- I have a letter which is due this Wednesday which reviews this and needs to be signed by guardian. It is a graded assignment. I just need parents to be on the same page, and not have you tell them the morning of “Yeah, I am staying home today.”
9:55 Design Homework 26 | Gamer or Artists Still Life
Last week we focused on a Nighthawks 1930’s period still life scene.
This week we are focusing on your “Game Setup”. Setup your desk/table top with how you may spend a night with friends. Do you have a console? Controler? What about PC? Phone? What about board games? Create an interesting still life sketch with at least 3 main design elements. (In the above example we have an N64, 2 controllers, and 2 separate cartridges.)
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
10:40 Monday / Tuesday Afternoon Introduction
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday / Tuesday Interview Preparation for Skills and Beyond
Very often when sitting for an interview you get some blue sky questions, to really gauge you as an applicant for a college, university, internship, etc.
One question that is often asked is “Why are you interested in this position?“, or rephrased “Why are you interested in this line of work?“. It has shown up on many interviews, including the interview portion of the SkillsUSA Competitions.
Over the next two afternoons, you are going to create a 3 page (2 if here halftime) website which in your own words describes what brought you to these areas of focus.
Game Design Teams (work to be done and graded individually)
- What games in your past impacted you the most that you are trying to make games now?
- Was there any specific mechanic that you remember that really engaged you, and said to you “I must do learn how to do this”.
- A genere you fell in love with?
- Was there an art style that you resonated with?
- What is the game for you? Is it escapism? Is it party game fun? Is it the story? Is it hyperrealistic simulations? Is it less than realistic simulations (Gandhi with a Nuke). Etc.
Is there an anecdote which you could tell to connect to the judges, to show them your personality? Remember we are ambiguous team numbers at the competitions. We don’t even have last names. How can we make a connection with the interviewer/ judges?
Animation Teams (work to be done and graded individually)
- What animations do you first remember?
- What animations do you love – that made an impact?
- Are you drawn to the narrative, creative side of story production? Are you drawn to the technical, application and creation of the visuals?
- Was it a musical score that hooked you?
Is there an anecdote or other stories which you could tell to connect to the judges, to show them your personality?
- Let’s talk individually and set something up for you. I want you to have the same backstory ready to go.
- Floating page layout as we have been practicing – think Vaporwave or Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department.
- At least 1 floated the image to the right in each page, consistently sized across the project.
- “index.html” as one of your file names (you will have 3 or 2 html files)
- Valid html
- The copy itself in your own words. I don’t want copy pasta, your story is as good as anyone else’s. I want you hear your voice.
- An embedded youtube image of gameplay, the trailer, etc.
- All work placed in story called “myStory” inside of “week_26”
Dailies for Monday / Tuesday must be of this project for credit.