Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 27! I am here!
- Matisse and Ben – National Technical Honor Society is this Wednesday night! Rehearsal Wednesday morning – do you have the the stole presenter picked out? In short, it’s the scene from the end of Star Wars 1 where the medals are put on the Luke / Han / Chewey / from Princess Leia.
- This is what I anticipate A and B days looking like:
- A, B, A B, B days this week. We end the week have back to back B days as EHS is having parent conferences all day on Friday. EHS has no school Friday, CTE does have school.
- No vocab / no quiz this week.
- We are going to present “Love” animations tomorrow at 9:40 to the class for grade.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 27 | Still Life with Mannequin
This week will be our culminating week for the Quarter 3 focus of “Still Life’s”. DH 27 will be giving you a Mannequin to take home and create a sketch with. Set it up in an interesting and class appropriate pose and practice sketching from a real object.
** This Friday March 20th we are not having a Quiz, and will be creating our Final Still Life from 11 to 12:10. I strongly recommend you bringing in some objects to setup for your final still life. I just don’t have 30 vases of lavender laying around sadly, nor can I spend $150 for a Friday morning selection of cheese and fruit. You can sketch from an image, but it would be better if you setup some “things” at your station Friday morning.
Think about it early – but the long and short of it is DH 27 is a mannequin sketch.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today, and bring back the mannequins.
9:50 Step Up Day – you stay home next Tuesday!
- The letters go home today, the letter comes back tomorrow signed. One of the two copies comes back tomorrow, with the top copy signed, ok? We good?
- It is a grade.
9:55 Intro to Week 27 and 28 Afternoon Contest Unit
10:05 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 27 “What is due”.
- Bring over 7 Lavenders Sketch signed and dated.
- Start working on upcoming projects.
- Remember to think about what you want to sketch for your “Final Still Life” on Friday. Plan ahead.
- Get that missing work turned in – we do NOT have Cawd Homework Club on Wednesday as we have National Technical Honor Society that night and I have to help setup. Locking up right at 2:05 Wednesday.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 27 and 28 Design Competition Focus: Animator or Graphic Designer
As we approach the SkillsUSA state competitions for Animation, Game Design, Web Design, and Pin Design, we are also going to take a look at some other “Design Competitions”. We are doing this for 3 reasons:
- I won’t beat around the bush: You win these, you win prizes. Nothing goes to teachers or the school or any of that malarkey. You win, you get stuff.
- Some of us in this room are not the varsity quarterback, or the president of the junior class, or the 1st violin in the Vermont Youth Orchestra. We need to build our resumes for college in another ways, and if you submit your work to these competitions (costs nothing) you can put on your resume that you took part in a juried design competition while in high school. This is better than listing your Fortnite streaks.
- It is time that you start taking your skills and see if you can make a living from them. Remember that we are in the practical arts, we can be creative with design and have a career.
Over the next two weeks in the afternoons you get to work as an Animator, or a Graphic Designer.
- Create a 25 second video about the dangers of distracted driving at 720p.
- Animated or Film (you can do either in Cawd)
- You can use anything you have created. Needs to be open source music, limited brands, etc.
If you choose this option these are you deliverables:
- Week 27 (This week) – rough cut of animation – can be previews for this first round. Uploaded to Shared Drive as “draftDriving.mp4”.
- Week 28 (Next week) – final cut, rendered, sound. Uploaded to Shared Drive as “finalDriving.mp4”.
With such a short turn around time the style would have to be simplistic, yet on message. Here is an example from a former student who chose not to enter – I am sorry I removed the audio, but it was really good. This student is currently at Champlain studying Art and Animation.
- Create a logo for the Brendon P. Cousino Med 47 Foundation which will go on a cornhole game. (A bit taller than wide.)
- Start working with paper / pencil, and finish in Illustrator.
- All new artwork.
If you choose this option these are you deliverables:
- Week 27 (This week) – 5 completed logos done on paper. Think of this as brainstorms, but they need to be complete. The expectation is shading, all the text requirements, and quality art. Think of this as your concept art phase, really decide how you want to visualize it. Here is some Cawd work from last year where we created branding for local company “Upright Builders” as an example. I want 5 different, completed versions of the project, done by hand, this week. These will be scanned and uploaded for grading as “med_1.jpg” through “med_5.jpg”.
- Week 28 (Next week) – pick the “best” (not your favorite) and create in Illustrator. This is where you will create the final product for the client. We only work digitally once the pre-production from Week 27 is complete. Upload as “medFinal.jpg” and “medFinal.ai”.
Dailies as normal – if doing hand drawn artwork take a photo with your phone or scan in. If using the iMac camera do your best to get a clear image, they seem to be kinda blurry for fine detail.
Once you select, we are locking you into your medium as we don’t want you losing production time by topic shopping.