Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 28 and the 4th Quarter. It is spring I promise! Remember what this looks like? First day in the spring I smell a cut lawn (or hear a mower) is a solid feeling.
- Doors locked immediately after school today for Step Up Day prep.
- Whether real or not (idk to be honest) it is only a matter of time before this is reality. A treadmill where you can run through video game worlds. Running through Final Destination would be for the laziest I imagine? Anything smaller?
- Remember that nobody in this room will come to Cawd tomorrow! We are hosting students applying for next year in our Step Up Day. Mr. Moore and I will be moving extra computers in, setting up the scanner and the spare, etc, throughout the day. Based on numbers (30+ applying) it looks like we will be cutting a number of students tomorrow. If you have “good people” friends applying to be accepted, encourage them to be on their best behavior!
- Students that are applying to other programs tomorrow you go there for the day.
- All CTE academic classes are cancelled tomorrow for Step Up Day.
- Due to SUD the weeks schedule will be:
- Monday – A
- Tuesday – B (but nobody is here for it…)
- Wednesday – A
- Thursday – B
- Friday – A
- Remember that Mr. Bisson is giving you an “At Home” assignment to do tomorrow, as it is counted as a school day.
- We are in the 4th quarter. Any missing 3rd Quarter Work must be turned in by the EOD of the day TODAY for two reasons:
- I have to finalize and submit Quarter 3 grades tomorrow.
- Tomorrow the application team also analyzes and decides on the Cawd2 class. Missing 2 projects and dragging down your grade below the cut score just may get you rejected from the program. Up to you.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 28 | Baseline Portrait
As you know we have 3 focuses in traditional art throughout the year in Cawd:
2nd Quarter – Perspective Drawing 3rd Quarter – Still Life’s
- 4th Quarter – Portraits
Our 4th Quarter focus on Portraits typically deals with front on views of humans, from the neck up. We will explore the ideas of realism, ratios, and characteurs.
In our first exercise in Portraits, I want you to draw a … Portrait! Turn to the next page in your sketchbook and give me a human face, as accurately done as possible. This baseline gives us something to to compare to and show colleges as you progress in your skills.
As always, don’t sweat it if you aren’t great early in the quarter. We just want to see where everyone is technically in their skills.
Sign and date, due 1 week from today.
9:55 Step Up Day Setup
This morning we are going to be doing our Step Up Day setup. This will take 20 minutes if we work efficiently.
This morning we have to:
- Ensure we can access Unreal without your password (make sure ALL computers are auto-logging in).
- Clean all files off desktops.
- Setup the desktop background to the be same image – just like for open house.
- Clean up stations, if you have decorated, we need organize and make the content.
- Setup example files on the desktop – the only assets on the desktop.
- Microfiber all screens. Some of you still think this iMac’s have touchscreens apparently.
Throughout the day I will be coming around and testing out your stations. With 30+ kids tomorrow, things just have to work. We ensure they work through preparation.
10:25 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 27 “What is due”.
- The new vocab is posted – quiz on Friday.
- Bring over your sketchbooks AND the mannequins.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 27 and 28 Design Competition Focus: Animator or Graphic Designer
We are in Week 2 of our 2 week afternoon Design Contest Unit.
- Create a 25 second video about the dangers of distracted driving at 720p.
- Animated or Film (you can do either in Cawd)
- You can use anything you have created. Needs to be open source music, limited brands, etc.
If you choose this option these are you deliverables:
Week 27 – rough cut of animation – can be previews for this first round. Uploaded to Shared Drive as “draftDriving.mp4”.
- Week 28 (This week) – final cut, rendered, sound. Uploaded to Shared Drive as “finalDriving.mp4”.
With such a short turn around time the style would have to be simplistic, yet on message. Here is an example from a former student who chose not to enter – I am sorry I removed the audio, but it was really good. This student is currently at Champlain studying Art and Animation.
- Create a logo for the Brendon P. Cousino Med 47 Foundation which will go on a cornhole game. (A bit taller than wide.)
- Start working with paper / pencil, and finish in Illustrator.
- All new artwork.
If you choose this option these are you deliverables:
Week 27 – 5 completed logos done on paper. Think of this as brainstorms, but they need to be complete. The expectation is shading, all the text requirements, and quality art. Think of this as your concept art phase, really decide how you want to visualize it. Here is some Cawd work from last year where we created branding for local company “Upright Builders” as an example. I want 5 different, completed versions of the project, done by hand, this week. These will be scanned and uploaded for grading as “med_1.jpg” through “med_5.jpg”.
- Week 28 (This week) – pick the “best” (not your favorite) and create in Illustrator. This is where you will create the final product for the client. We only work digitally once the pre-production from Week 27 is complete. Upload as “medFinal.jpg” and “medFinal.ai”.
Dailies as normal – if doing hand drawn artwork take a photo with your phone or scan in. If using the iMac camera do your best to get a clear image, they seem to be kinda blurry for fine detail.