Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Step Up Day 2019! Today we are going to explore some different creative and design techniques, giving you a snapshot of Cawd life.
- Introductions / Mr. Cronin / Mr. Moore / Mr. Bohmann / Katie
- What Cawd is – a way to get you into what is “next“.
- What Cawd is not.
- College Credit Options you can take while a member of Cawd:
- Job Shadows / Internships
- Design Competitions and National Recognition. In the summer of 2017 students from Cawd won the SkillsUSA National Championship in both 3D Vizualisation and Animation, as well as Web Design.
- Google 20% Friday Afternoons
- Student Success Stories / Models for you as an applicant
- What we will do today. The reality of limitations in a single day snapshot.
- Lunch & Bathrooms!
- While we work today, Mr. Bohmann is going to come around and snap a photo of you with your nametag so we know who is who later on in our admissions meetings.
- We are going to have a 5 minute bathroom / water break today at 10:55.
- Lunch with be at 12:10 – 12:40. Please make sure you get back on time. The room will be open if you would like to come back early.
- No food in the room, drinks stored on the drinks shelf under the Ray Gun.
- Do the best you can today as today is your interview for next year. To be painfully honest, we have more applicants than spots available. Some of us in this room won’t be selected for admission. Being off task, not following directions, being late, not trying your hardest, etc, are all indicators we are looking for as an admissions team. Do your best.
9:55 3D Graphics Workshop (25 Minutes)
We will explore Blender, our 3D Creation software.
10:20 Illustration Workshop (25 Minutes)
Next we work with Adobe Illustrator, the standard of Vector Art creation.
10:45 Break (5 Minutes)
10:50 Game Design Workshop (25 Minutes)
11:15 Web Design Workshop (25 Minutes)
We will tinker with writing code in this Front End Web Design Workshop.
11:40 Hand Drawing Workshop (20 Minutes)
Today we are going to give you a sketching assignment based around the “The Curve”. Each of you will receive a paper with a single curve on it. Using your imagination and hand drawing skills, create a creature from the curve.
This project works on being creative within a set of constraints, which is common in our industries.
Sign your name legibly in the bottom right corner when complete, and place under your keyboard.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
Please be back on time.
12:45 Cinemagraph Workshop (25 Minutes)
We are going to explore Photoshop in 2 ways this afternoon, using video, and then with static imagery. First we will work with video and Cinemagraphs.
1:10 Digital Image Manipulation Exercise (15 Minutes)
Next we will explore some digital image manipulation tools for static images.
1:25 Getting some information from you (10 Minutes)
We would like to find out a bit about you, your interests, and if you think Cawd is the right place for you.
1:35 Afternoon Linear Instruction Exercise (25 Minutes)
Businesses around the world have started think differently in regards to interviews. Some interviewees get anxious, aren’t comfortable with the traditional interview process, but are still hard workers that can do the job. German software giant SAP is one of the companies that have added a Lego exercise to their interview process, and following the lead of industry, we are going to do this in Cawd today.
This exercise will test your:
- Ability to follow oral and written direction.
- Allow you to work on your own quietly.
- Work in a hands on way in a 3D project.
When you are complete:
- Leave the creation between your keyboard and your mouse.
- Take off your name-tag and place on your mouse.
- Use the remainder of time to add to your “The Curve” sketch, or explore the software silently. Others in the room will be working up to 2:00 and under stress; let’s give all a quiet work environment.
If you can’t finish by 2:00, please place your lego car (however far you got) between your keyboard and your mouse. You don’t need to complete your car to be accepted, it is only one of many evaluation tools we are using today.
Thank you for visiting today, and regardless of where you end up next year we wish you the best.