Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Good morning!
- Welcome to Week 29, and the 4th Quarter. We will be switching seats Tuesday morning right before lunch.
- I don’t really know what this is, but the imagery itself makes me want to find out more.
- We are going to start our Pinbox 3000 Collaborate Client Work today, starting off with a kickoff event at 10:00am. Mrs. Wolfe‘s Pre-tech class, as well as Mr. Dirmier‘s Engineering class, are working with us on the project.
- We are going to have a Game Day quiz on Friday on the “Week 29 Vocab” – which is the “Week 27 Vocab” that we had our “open book assignment” on. I just changed the name to reflect this week. Do we want to plan some Kahoots this week? Maliki?
9:45 Pinbox 3000 Introduction
Pinbox 3000 and CTE are going to embark on some client work together over the next two weeks leading up to vacation. Pinbox3000 builds pinball machines from cardboard, and incorporates the do-it-yourself production style of building your own board, and then using your creative and engineering sides to personalize and develop your boards.
They are looking to create a broader catalog of options for the digital printing medium. They want to have some designs for elements which could be stored in an online repository or gallery, so Pinbox3000 players all over the world could download “widgets”, print them, and incorporate them on the play board.
We are going to work in teams to that end. Each teams goal will be to come up with item / theme which would work for the client.
Teams are going to be created for you, but it is up to you the team to work out who is going to be the main person responsible for each role. At the end of the project, your grade is what you contributed to the project.
Roles – each team has 2 members
Take the idea and use Maya to model it. This will include modeling a rough PinBox, maybe animating to show how your idea would work in the game. Simulation? Create attractive renders with good composition, low depth of field?, etc.
Maybe bring into Unreal to simulate to have an interactive element?
Web / Graphic Designer
Create an online website which will act as the pitch for your design. Valid, responsive, professional.
Create graphics for the brand. Logo in illustrator? Textures in Photoshop?
In addition, one of you is the Creative Director / Support
Beware – this role may be a trap!
In this role, you will be the CD of your team. You will have final say in design decisions and will be the in the Pitch to the client. I will only go through YOU for questions / advice / etc.
In addition to the final decision making, you are going to be supporting your team. You may do an hour of 3D work today, some logo work and code help tomorrow, etc.
You are the glue of your team, that makes it work.
Motivated, engaged students will take this role and run with it.
Thursday Morning (4/12) – Preliminary Presentations to the class at 10:00 – this is 33% of your grade.
The class and I want to see your idea, art, models, animations, web design, graphics, logos, brand, and presentation. Think of this as a fairly fleshed out 1st draft, bordering on the second draft.
Friday Morning (4/19) – Final Pitch to Client at 10:00 – this is 66% if your grade.
If the Pinbox 3000 selects your team’s idea to move to the next round of development you get a letter of extra credit applied to your grade.
The Next Step
In addition, you have the opportunity it to explore 3D printing, electronics, and the next phases of development working with Mrs. Wolfe and Mr. Dirmair. This could be a cornerstone of your portfolio/applications to college. Collaborative client work while in high school.
Sadly this won’t be for everyone. Work hard, be selected. The rest will be doing something.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Pinbox 3000 Introduction
Pinbox3000 Production Schedule
- Kickoff Meeting
- Emmy visits to talk about classes for next year
- Preliminary Draft Presentations at 1:00
- Final Production Day
- Vistors (2 – they never end apparently!)
- Game Day Quiz
- 20% Friday Afternoon
- 10:00 AM – Final Pitch to Pinbox 3000