Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Big Game Day Quiz today, if you get it I will give us an extra 10 minutes of lunch because at lunch today I want to try out some new Cawd gear including 4 more Joycons (so we have 8 / they are charging as we speak) and Mario Kart 8. I plan on crushing … all of you. So from now on we can play (I think) 8 player Smash, and 4 player Mario Kart.
- Note from Mrs. Dulleba for Buscher, LeBlanc, Davies, St. Louis, Hatungimana. “The following students should plan to come to room M112 during block 7/8 on Friday (12:45 – 2:00) to work on their senior portfolio projects. Program instructors, please help me by letting them know and reminding them on Friday.” Take your gear, pack up and leave clean, you will be dismissed from there.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Introduction to Cawd Client Work
Cawd will be working in May with the Vermont Dental Assistants Association to update their website. First, let’s talk about why we are doing this:
- Validity of code through the W3C
- Accessibility validation through Web Aim and WCAG.
- Ability to update quickly and easily
We will be learning the industry standard CMS (Content Management System) WordPress, and take redevelop what they have for the future.
The first step in the process is taking a look at their branding. Currently they have a logo which has a couple problems:
- The colors don’t fit the color scheme we are moving to (less saturated bright colors, more muted, professional look).
- The organization only has the .jpg – no authoring file for us to work with.
Let’s all find it and download it to our “week_30” folders.
Next let’s talk about color scheme we are taking the site to, as well as main hero image we are going to use in the layout. We are going to be using Unspash for this. Unsplash gives us full commercial rights to high quality imagery. Let’s download the source image and create a color palette to work off using a Photoshop Filter that has a pretty neat indirect benefit. We will also do this to compare the existing logo with to see the comparison in colors we will use.
The Next Steps (after vacation)
- Dive into client notes and look at what we can combine where – about 40% of the pages can be removed / combined.
- Rebuild the logo with the new design style.
- Use the project to learn WordPress.
- On May 25th the President of the Vermont Dental Assistants Association and her entourage will come to Cawd and look at your work, selecting a project to use. The hope is that on Monday May 28th we begin taking down what they currently have and uploading what you have created to their site. If your work (as we are all developing individually) is selected you will get an automatic 100 for the Cawd final exam (larger, 3 week project) and you can really use that time to do … anything you want (so long as you are doing Cawd work, but you can start stop projects, jump around, we can be pretty flexible). In addition to the A++ on the Final Exam (20% of your semester), you will have live client work to put in your Portfolio, and help you get your next job after graduation. If I was going to do this job on the side in July I would charge … $2500. And this work can be done with free software, on your couch on your laptop while you listen to music and watch reruns of The Office. (This is where the lightbulb should be going off for you comparing this career goal to something where you are REQUIRED to work certain hours, or smell like a deep fryer, or do manual labor.)
10:22 Cawd Study Guide
Give me your notecards and head down to Student Services to work with Mr. Irwin.
Michael St. Louis / Kahoot
You want the Game Day? You have to earn it. Class average of 90+.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Week 21 Quiz
- Silent until noon.
- Stay in your seats.
- When complete move silently into our post quiz sketch.
- Click here.
11:25 Friday Morning Free Sketch
This Friday we are going to work on a Free sketch to end a very stressful week. Topic completely up to you.
Sign and date and put on the back table by lunch.
12:00 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Friday Afternoon Google Inspired 20% Project
Topics at 12:50.