Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to May! Really, the spring WILL show up at some point.
- Students not fully caught up are to be here for Homework Club on Wednesday – or get me missing work. Only 5 more Homework Club’s left in the entire year!
- Bob Ross knows.
- Really well done.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Web Design Review
Review of Web 2.0 layout with quick microsite Pass / Fail.
Here is the html you will use:
Here is the css you will use, split up into two images (too long for a single image)
The images you will need:
At the end your project needs to look like:
Upload to Week 31, validate, and ensure responsive before you even raise your hand. These are being checked off on the Big Board.
10:40 Grade Microsite Pass / Fail (or when you finish)
When complete get to work on your Design Homework, study for the quiz or work on something else Cawd related.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Illustrated Versions of you following a specific Styleguide
Today we are going to work in Illustrator to design Illustrated versions of ourselves. I was inspired by the flyer for a Lyndon State College event over vacation.
We are all going to follow the existing material as a guide for our characters. There are some specifics which we will adhere to.
- Lack of detail on the face. Eyes are it. Glasses are acceptable.
- Hair is a solid design element.
- Fat, thin, whatever your body type you are going to follow a straight body, straight legs style. Please notice the curved design element at the top of the body, with hard angles in other locations.
- You must be facing left or right (which can be easily switched).
- We are saving these as .ai files today.
- In Illustrator let’s start with a new document 150 pixels in width, by 250 pixels in height.
- Solid colors – the paper item is solid colors and looks nicer than the scan, for whatever reason.
Save your character as “cronin.ai”, and then export your character as “cronin.png” – this will create a transparent background for us to use Friday. Make sure to use a resolution of 300 when exporting so it can be large and crisp!
When we return to them on Friday morning we are going to use the .png with the transparent background.
At 12:00 today we are going to present through dailies and unveil our characters. Please upload the .png into your Week 31 folder, link through dailies.
12:00 Unveiling of yourselves!
Graded as Pass / Fail.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
Today and Thursday afternoons we are going to work programmatically to create a basic clicker game (or incremental game). This will get us practice using:
- event listeners
- Start thinking about the idea of “power-ups” in a game (ability to click faster based on click amount) – think of this as pseudo microtransactions.
- Once the basics are covered – we are going to jump into personalizing with art / css.
Today we are going to start the process of setting up the basics, and then you will hopefully make the game your own.
Extra credit opportunities to students that want to (on their own) setup cookies so the score persists when the user returns.
Graded on Thursday through presentations to the class at 1:40. Students will test out each other’s games on the Big Board (through Dailies) as an assessment.
Dailies today will simply be the progress of where you are so far.