Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to Week 32 and the stretch run! 6 real weeks of school left! The final big events in Cawd are:
- I want all students here until 1:10 to do the Afternoon Photoshop Compositing coursework, as it is going to be good learning and is to be applied to the 3 week (afternoon) “Floating Island” project we begin next week. With the prompt of “Floating Island” you will choose a role and work as:
- Digital Painter in Photoshop or
- Illustrator in … Illustrator or
- 3D Environmental Artist in Blender / Photoshop or
- Level Designer in Blender / Unreal.
- … but that is for next week.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 32: Mouth
As we continue through our 4th Quarter Focus of drawing Portraits, this week we are going to focus on the mouth. DH 32 will be to … draw a mouth.
I have linked to a solid resource below which walks you step by step through the process of drawing a mouth.
Feel free to use it – or any other resource you like – to create your end result. What we don’t want is you thinking “Pssshh Cronin, I don’t need any help, I HAVE a mouth!” and then your work is meh.
Sign / date, due 1 week from today.
9:50 Site Maintenance
- New vocab is posted. The rest of the years vocabs are things which are hard to practice in a hands on way, and just “things” you need to memorize. Not everything is hands on, and the vocab’s this month will lead up to our Web Certification Exam on Friday June 7th. Just memorize it all.
- I have already graded two projects from before vacation:
- 20% from Thursday
- Tom Cruise inspired “Choose your Own Adventure” project
- What I AM grading today is:
- DH 31 | Free Sketch – this is to be turned in in about 30 seconds.
- Web 2.0 Homepage – this is what you can use Site Maintenance for if need be. We are not having Monday meetings so I can float around and help out with questions.
- Students that were accepted to Cawd2 – remember that you need to have an “A-” or better S2 grade in Cawd to be eligible to start earning college credits with me in the fall. Keep the nose to the grindstone and get those B, and B+’s to A-‘s.
10:35 Introduction to Week 32 Compositing Afternoon Projects
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Afternoon Photoshop Compositing Content
- Compositing – putting together separate pieces together to form a cohesive whole
- Color Grading / Color Correcting
- Using Masks for non-destructive editing
- Clipping Masks to focus color grading to specific layers
- Creating animated gifs of final project to see the final result
1:10 Week 32 Compositing Project: Jungle and Free Choice
Monday through Thursday this week you are going to work on two different compositions where you take separate imagery you find from the internet, and combine them together to create a composite whole.
For both projects we want to see a 1080p resolution of 1920 x 1080 in size in Photoshop. Start with this blank canvas first before you start adding any media.
Assignment #1: Jungle
Combine elements of the theme of “jungle” together to create a complete whole. In addition to the standard static .jpg’s and .psd’s, I also want you to create a .gif of the final result being built with a pause at the end so we can see your final production. The gif should loop.
Save as “lastnameJungle.psd”, “lastnameJungle.jpg”, and “lastnameJungle.gif” and upload to the “week_32” folder.
Assignment #2: Free Choice
In this second exercise I want to open the subject matter up to you. We all had to do the jungle, but what could you take this subject matter to and create through the theme of “compositing”? Some examples you may want to consider are:
- Coral Reef
- Space Scene
- War scene – not for the gratuitous aspect, but for the random, more organic composition of say trenches and explosions in a World War 1 aesthetic.
- City / Urban Landscape (but be warned the hard edges of man-made objects will make this subject harder to do, but may look amazing at the end.
Same requirements of the jungle with the .jpg, the .psd, and the .gif.
Save as “lastnameChoice.psd”, “lastnameChoice.jpg”, and “lastnameChoice.gif” and upload to the “week_32” folder.
** If you are here only every other afternoon you will only be responsible for the jungle.