Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Thank you to the students and families that came to yesterday’s Cawd Open House!
- Quiz today – you beat the class average of the 82, we get to have a longer lunch. Help each other study!
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Intro to Video Editing with Premiere
- What do we use Premiere for?
- Audio vs. Video
- Razor Blade
- Effect Controls
- Turning in the work to the shared folder.
- REM! – Lyrics – let’s see if we can get through the first chorus?
10:30 Exporting with the Media Encoder
- We will create MP4‘s for us to share our animated work.
- We will use the Adobe Media Encoder, which takes our Premiere project and creates the final movie.
10:35 “Uploading” our work to the Shared folder I … shared with you.
10:40 Friday Morning Film Festival?
- Anyone want to share? It can be wild and weird – think of this as happy, messy, learning and practice.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Week 4 Quiz
- Silent until noon
- Stay in your seats
- When complete move right into our post-quiz project
- Click here
11:25 Friday Morning Sketching Assignment: Creative Routines Infographic Pre-production
Infographics (combination of “information” and “graphics”) are graphic visual representations of information intended to present information quickly and clearly. They can improve cognition by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system’s ability to see patterns and trends.
Today after the quiz we are going to start looking at your “daily” schedule – specifically a school day. This project has two goals:
- Create a nice piece of art which will be made in Illustrator next week.
- Critically (and honestly – no judgement) look at what you do during the day. How much time do you spend sleeping? Studying? In Sports? Gaming? When do you go to bed? When do you get up?
This project will be self-reflective, and hopefully resonate with you. Doing these personal inventories, regardless of the subject, can often open your eyes to what YOU are doing with your life. In the past this brings up “Ah ha”, or “Ohhhh…..” moments when looking at the work as a whole. Maybe you will find you sleep too little? Maybe you will find that you don’t spend enough time on homework, maybe you will find that you rarely get off your computer once you get home.
Again – there is no judgement from us, it is what it is. What you currently do doesn’t have to be what you do forever.
You can mimic the format above – or use any other creative layout which will visualize and explain your data. We are looking for:
- Specific times in a 24 hour cycle
- Different colors / shading to denote the different times
- Text labels to explain
Maybe take a look back at a simple Google search of “Infographics” to get inspired.
As with everything we do, the more detail, the greater the chance to get the “A”.
Sign and date, please put on the back table today at lunch.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Friday Afternoon Google 20% Project
Now that we are in the swing of things with our class routine, it is time to start doing Friday afternoon Google 20% Projects. As we learned this morning this is time for you to do anything with our equipment that connects to technology, art, or English (as we offer an English credit).
- 3D Project in Blender
- Image Manipulations in Photoshop
- Illustrations in Illustrator
- Hand drawn art
- Short Story / Storyboarding
- Making Music
- Follow tutorials online so you can learn more about a technique, concept, or proram.
As we are going in all different directions, this is independent work Friday afternoons, in that you are leading your learning. I am simply facilitating, keeping everyone organized, and guiding us to dailies. This is not a time for me to teach you how to do fire in Blender – that is for you to learn about in 20% time!
The key is you must create work new product. Whatever you decide to work on you are going to save with a “20” in the file name.
If working in 3D please give me 3 renders: “lastname20_1.jpg” through “lastname20_3.jpg at 1080p.
If working in Photoshop please give me “lastname20.jpg” and “lastname20.psd”.
If working in Illustrator please give me “lastname20.jpg” and “lastname20.ai”.
Etc – there are so many variations on this I can’t list them all. The key is you give me all the assets and save them with the “20” in the file name.
If you are doing something hand drawn, please place on the back table.
I will be coming around today at 12:55 to get topics – I write these down. Once we hit 12:55 you are locked into your topic. I do this as some students will be rather frenetic and “start over” eleventeen times over the afternoon jumping from Photoshop to Blender, and then back, and have nothing to show for it. Think for 15, then we lock in.
Dailies as normal.
Group work is possible – but I warn you that groups that tend to connect and socialize over production tend to receive low grades. If two of you are working together, I expect 250% of the work of an individual, as not only do you BOTH have 100% effort to give, but the brainstorms and problem solving of two people shouldhelp your project. You are graded against this. Both partners have to have the work product uploaded to your spot on the server.
Who likes Extra Credit?
If you ever do a presentation, graphic, project, animation, design, poster for another class you get extra credit in Cawd. All I require is you have that teacher (your history teacher, your drivers ed teacher) email me and say that it was used as part of a project. That means you can do work for other classes in Cawd…if you can find a way to use Cawd work in your other classes. Then these afternoon projects can become not only an “A” in Cawd, but get you a letter grade extra credit as you created the Wright Brothers plane in Blender, as an example.
Start thinking, I will be around at 12:55!