Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 4!
- Infographic subreddit. “Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge. These graphics present complex information quickly and clearly, such as in signs, maps, journalism, technical writing, and education. With an information graphic, computer scientists, mathematicians, and statisticians develop and communicate concepts using a single symbol to process information.”
- Doors locked immediately after school as normal for Monday’s. (Monday / Tuesday / Thursday / Friday’s – if you want to stay after school and work, please plan for the Wednesday Cawd Homework Club. The room is often open at 7AM for those that want extra extra time.)
- We have a start of school meeting in the room tomorrow at 8. I would imagine the room will be open about 9am.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 4 | Time – A Day in your life infographic
DH4 will be an infographic which visually organizes a day in your life. We will be looking at your routine, to see if we can learn from it or improve it. Mason Currey has written a book “Daily Rituals: How Artists Work” looking at the daily habits of Creatives, and we are going to take inspiration from the work and look at our own lives.
You are going to take a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and visually illustrate your life. What do you do when?
This project will bring us three benefits:
1st – it just looks pretty. This type of work is an infographic, where information is gathered and displayed in a manner easy to digest as humans.
2nd – it will force us to look at our schedules with a critical eye. Did you get a 50 on the quiz, but spent 2 hours playing Destiny 2, and an hour watching videos … of others playing Destiny 2? Hmm. What does that say about you? What will these actions bring about in your life in 2, 5, 10 years? Documenting a day in your life is a classic self-help process, be it what you do, what you eat, how much you spend, etc. Let’s see your results.
3rd – Hopefully you pick up your old Cawd sketchbook in 20 years and get detailed peak into a “day in the life” of high school you. I love going through my old notebooks, sketchbooks, and seeing what I was doing at any given time.
Grab a blank “LIFE” sheet, and tape it into your sketchbook. Fill out not only as accurately through time, but also as beautiful as you can make it. Rules will be very helpful if you are looking for the A or the B, as will color. Label with legible English.
Due 1 week from today.
Some examples from famous people in history:
The format we will use – slightly different, notice where the midnight is:
- Check the Week 3 “What is due”.
- Bring over your sketchbook when we meet with your three draft versions for Burlington’s new flag – DH3.
- Some of us have lost their headphones until the grades improve – it is what it is. Get the work in / get your grades up! For most in this situation, it is all about the Quiz Grades for some of you.
10:40 Week 4 Afternoon Focus: Spaceship
Let’s introduce afternoon coursework for Week 4.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Week 4 Afternoon Exercise: Spaceship
Afternoons during Week 4 are going to be dedicated to working on a Spaceship. We are going to go through a small pre-production design process for this project.
Pro-production steps we will do Monday / Tuesday afternoon at 12:45 before we begin. (Don’t start early – as you won’t know what the prompts are).
- What are we required to have?
- Create some concept art of the required elements.
When I am happy with your concept art, you will move to working digitally. This is a gut feeling by me acting as your Creative Director. Some will have to go back to the drawing board a couple times if you try to sell me below average concept art.
Once you get into Maya, you are to create your Spaceship and texture. You are not to create anything other than the Spaceship. All of our projects will live in “White World”, where we get subtle shading on the ground, but not a detailed scene.
Your ship will have landed, and not be flying.
Half Time Students
If you are here half time (A afternoons or B afternoons) you are going to do the same project, but not do any texturing or materials. Your final product will look very similar to the example image above. This gray modeling technique is very common in our industry when working on modeling as a focus.
We are going to create 3 renders at 720p called “spaceshipCronin_1.jpg” through “spaceshipCronin_3.jpg”.