Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Quizzes on Friday morning. 15% of your grade are the quizzes, typically 9 new, 1 review, and 1 extra credit question from our articles.
This years Sat / Act prep work comes from “100 Most Common SAT Words” by Quizlet. As we are using their list to pull from you are able to use their free study tools. Make a free account so you add the new words to your Study Bank. As the weeks go by and you are studying from this ever growing word bank, you will find that your vocabulary (speaking and retention) has improved.
Let’s make you smarter, and get another 500 points on some of this standardized testing which right or wrong impacts your educational path.
Sat / Act prep
- Anachronistic – out of date. “The sci fi dressed cosplayer was anachronistic when she arrived at the Medieval Fair.”
- Anecdote – short account of event. “I tried to play Mr. Cronin 1v1 in Smash, and it didn’t go well.”
- Anonymous – nameless. “The suggestion for the restaurant was anonymous; nobody really knew who sent it.”
The 5 Basic Principles of Flag Design:
- Keep it Simple: A flag should be so simple that a child could draw it from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbolism
- Use Two to Three Basic Colors
- No Lettering or Seals
- Be Distinctive or Be Related
- We can use a File Node to change a Maya Shader (Material) from a color, to an image.
- We use Automatic UV mapping coordinates to reset how a material falls on an object. This will be one of the first steps you have to take after applying a material to ensure the entire image shows up on a face.
- Point Lights are like little stars and emit light in all directions.
- Spot Lights are cone like lights, similar to a beam from a flash light.
- Light power is controlled by intensity.
- MIA Material X’s are Mental Ray materials which are written to mimic real life surfaces, such as glass, plastic, etc.
- Resolution Gate in a Maya viewport will show you exactly what your render will include, regardless of viewport dimension.
- Smooth Preview (3 on the keyboard) takes your standard model (1 on the keyboard) and smoothes it. This only works when using Mental Ray. Smooth Preview allows us to create organic / smooth shapes from rougher models, while NOT adding numerous extra faces which will increase render time, reduce FPS in games, etc.
- We use Simulation Modeling / Animation when creating content by hand is too labor intensive, if not impossible. Waves crashing on a beach, fire, smoke, and the randomness of a quilt falling on a bed all are examples of where we can use Simulation Modeling / Animation.
- nCloth allows us to take a shape and drape it over another element. When doing nCloth simulation, you need two elements:
- nCloth Object (the quilt / sheet)
- a Passive Collider (what the quilt / sheet will run into)
- We can use a Maya Light Shader along with Final Gather to create light emitting materials.