Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 5, and the years first “Early Release Day”. The schedule will be interesting, but we will roll with it and adapt. No afternoon academic classes! Let’s look at the entire schedule.
- Great job on last weeks Quiz, we had definite improvement. This week we will have 5 new students that will be part of Mr. Irwin’s Thursday / Friday study group. Of the 5 last week, 3 saw a great improvement over their previous scores. It works; trust the process. The 5 this week (Thursday and Friday, 10:25 -> 10:45 in student services) are:
- Please note that in the Week 4 “What is due” I have removed the “Personal Logo Animation” from work that is due on Wednesday. We had some technical issues, which we are going to talk about and fix tomorrow. Due to this the Personal Logo Animation will be part of Week 5’s workload, and due in October.
- No break today, no afternoon classes today, English after lunch, the world is truly upside down.
- Are you a female that likes prizes, and accolades to help you in the next phase of life? The NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing (AiC) honors women in grades 9 through 12 who are active and interested in computing and technology, and encourages them to pursue their passions. Make an account and apply if interested. There is no cost, and the accolades you could receive may be what gets you in that top college program after high school. It is all about building that college resume. Remember what they say about great schools like Harvard. “Once you get in, doing the work is reasonable, it is getting in that is truly hard.” Build that resume now!
- Bring your sketchbooks tomorrow! We will need them for Flag Designs + Illustrator + Mr. Moore.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 5: Your own Infographic
Our Design Homework from last week was built around creating your first infographic. This infographic was a creative way to organize data in a more impactful and resonating way. Last week I gave you the format to use. All of us created our infographic off of the “Life” sheet I gave to you, where we used a circle to demonstrate how much time from your day you put into different activities.
This week we will take the same information and create it in your own style. I want you to take a look a the total amount of time that you spend doing X, Y or Z and visualize it for us. I don’t necessarily care about the times of the day you did the activities, but I do want to visually see if you ate for an hour, slept for 6 hours, were on the school bus for 45 minutes, etc.
We will be using DH5 as pre-production / concept art for an upcoming Illustrator Project we do with Mr. Moore. We actually start a mini-Illustrator Unit with Mr. Moore tomorrow at 11 with our first project being our Burlington Flag Redesign project. Please make sure you have your sketchbooks tomorrow in class to reference!
As you will see we often use Design Homeworks are pre-production for larger digital projects.
9:50 Turning in your Animated Work
- Our web server is not optimzed for video playback.
- We will use a shared folder inside of your Backup and Sync that I have given you.
- Tend this folder as you would your space on our web server. For example we will all create a “week_4” folder folder inside it, and upload our animated content (animations / videos / game trailers / etc) to this folder.
- Let’s all see how this works and get some practice. I am grading your first Demo Reel in this way, so let’s all get comfortable with the process.
10:05 Site Maintenance
- Check the Week 4 “What is due”
- Start Studying
- Work on something Cawd related, English related, work on a Google 20 project, etc.
- Essex High School students that take the bus are dismissed for the day, your busses leave early (11:35). So you can have lunch and socialize, or just go home, but the key is when we start English, EHS kids should NOT be here or you will not have a way home.
- This does mean that EHS kids will have to get the English assignment / make up the work with Mr. Bisson.
- If you DO drive (Harold as an example) you have to stay for English, but at least you don’t have to make up the work.
- Man these “Early Release” days seem like a real pain in the. They are new to us at CTE as well, please just go with the flow.
11:35 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11:35 sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
- English is 15 minutes shorter than usual due to our “Early Release” schedule.
Don’t dally, get right to your busses, it will be confusing enough without you trying to jam in flirting / socializing / bathrooms on your way to the bus.