Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Surfing with killer whales may be the coolest thing you can do.
- Quiz Friday! Remember, each new Cawd record we set for a quiz for the year we get an extra 5 minutes to our Friday lunch.
- Oh wait, this may be the coolest thing you can do.
- Maybe the most realistic racing game ever.
- Thanks to Cameron that created this weeks Quizlet! I put a link to it in the vocab itself. Try it out, let him know how it works, if people like having it, and Cameron does a good job on it, we will doing this weekly and he will get some extra credit for creating it.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Cawd Adustments
What is the problem we ran into last week?
- Maya 2017 doesn’t let us render animations with Mental Ray without buying a Mental Ray License to render image sequences. Buying a license would cost Cawd $12,000.00 for all our computers.
- Maya 2016 had this feature, built in, for free.
- Maya (and their parent company Autodesk) is trying encourage a third party market for renderers, and removed a built in solution to avoid playing favorites. My opinion is that universities and high schools are indirectly affected by their plan. Autodesk gives us the software for free, but this push to encourage different renderers (creating a healthy 3rd party renderer industry) means we can’t render animations. So many in education are unhappy about this, they will inevitably offer a solution in time. I believe we in education are caught in an issue they didn’t foresee.
- For now – we are going to go back to Maya 2016. We will run both versions, and could use 2017 if there is an amazing feature we need, but the ability to render animations using Mental Ray (for free) is too good to pass up.
- I also can’t justify (and don’t have) $12,000.00 to justify on something free last year simply because a software company made a bad decision.
So what are we going to do? The Cawd Public drive – a networked drive we can use to share software.
- How do we log into the Public Drive?
User Name: student
- Install 2016
Serial number: 561-64890412
- Product key: 657H1
- Server address: ccsu15.ccsuvt.org
- Rename Maya 2017 to Frank to avoid conflicts, and have a unique name to call it across our class.
Now that we are in 2016…
- Text – that is slightly different to create. Frankly it is easier, and requires to plugin.
- Rendering out … animations! Setting Projects / images folders / etc.
Morning Animation Pass Fail
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Illustrator with Mr. Moore
- Today we start a 3 Week Illustrator Unit with Mr. Moore.
- Mr. Moore is the Cawd2 teacher, former Cawd student, and 2011 National Champion in Web Design through SkillsUSA.
- It is a good chance for you to meet him, and him to meet you, and your work. There will be cuts for Cawd2. Your audition starts now.
Call your Flag “burlingtonFlagCronin.ai” and “burlingtonFlagCronin.jpg”.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Tuesday through Friday Afternoon Animation Exercise
Afternoons in Week 5 are going to be spent working on Squash and Stretch, the first of the 12 Principles of Animation we learned about last week.
You are going to create 6 short animations that demonstrate this principle. You will create them in separate Animate Files, export as image sequences, and then put together in Premiere, just as a professional would in industry.
If you are unclear, review the intro we covered Friday:
6 Required Animations:
- Ball bouncing right to left.
- Bag of jewels dropping down from the top center. Closed bag, tied at the top.
- Anvil dropping down from the top center. Going way back in animation history for this.
- Pumpkin dropping. Direction up to the animator.
- Kirby dropping. Direction up to the animator.
- Free choice. Direction up to the animator.
Each animation must really work to push the theme of Squash and Stretch. Projects which will get A’s or B’s will be those which really exaggerate Squash and Stretch. Better to be over the top, than to subtle.
Export all your smaller projects into a single animated file.
Export your animation as “squashAndStretchCronin.mp4” at 720p and upload to your shared folder.
Alterations for half time students
If you are here only every other afternoon, you are exempt from Parts 4-6.
For this week Dailies must be animated. This means creating an .mp4, putting in your folder, and adjusting the sharing settings so the link you post is viewable.
1:15 Dailies Prepatory Pass Fail
I am going to give you an .mp4 and we are going to practice uploading for dailies so everyone is comfortable.
Once we all get it done, I will wipe the dailies page, and then we all turn in real dailies for 2pm.