Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Quiz Friday! Are you part of the Thursday / Friday study group? Find out Thursday…
- Mario…repainted as Luigi.
- Famous logos drawn from memory.
- Thanks to the honest feedback I got yesterday afternoon (and maybe being a little too … overzealous with how much you budding animators can produce) I decided to back off of the gas for the afternoon project and go for quality over speed. So we are going to transition the project from a Monday / Tuesday to a Monday -> Thursday afternoon project. The expectation is that we all do A-level work if I am granting this extension. You turn in “meh” you are going to get a “meh” grade.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 EST Supplemental Hour
Hard to believe, but we are over half way through the 1st quarter.
CTE meets 8 times a year with a group of heavy hitters (me, Mr. Moore, Mr. Lance, Ms. Charron, Ms. Dickinson, etc). These Educational Support Teams meet as a team and talk about the class.
We meet at:
- Mid-point of Q1
- End of Q1
- Mid-point of Q2
- End of Q3
Cawd has these EST meetings Thursday mornings, starting this Thursday the 5th. So this Thursday from 8-9:30 have somewhere else to be.
We meet and talk specifically about each and every one of you. How are you doing in this class, your other classes? There are 4 elements we are looking at:
- Technical Skills
- Academic Progress
- Social Skills / Life / How do you get along with others
Now we meet on a Thursday. We grade on a Wednesday. Due to this I typically give students an extra hour of Site Maintenance EST weeks to make sure they are fully up to date, and can get everything in for Wednesday’s grading. If you miss assignments due Wednesday, and we talk about you and your missed assignments Thursday morning (before you ever show up and get a missing assignment sheet) then you are likely to get phone calls to parents, etc.
It just makes sense to have a little extra time to get your houses in order weeks we have EST meetings.
This extra session of Site Maintenance:
- First, get all late work in.
- Second, work on current projects.
- Finally (if all current projects are in for grading Wednesday) study for the quiz, or work on something Cawd related. English? College? Etc.
I do this to help you out, make sure you are on task and working.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Illustrator with Mr. Moore
- Today we are in our middle mini-unit with Mr. Moore learning about Illustrator.
- Mr. Moore is the Cawd2 teacher, former Cawd student, and 2011 National Champion in Web Design through SkillsUSA.
- Content to learn about this morning includes:
- exporting a .jpg of your entire artboard
- Showing you how to use a paint bucket to fill in connected areas. Why is this not always best practice?
11:40 Tuesday Morning Illustration Exercise: Custom Infographic off of your routine.
In this assignment you are going to create an infographic which uses the data you came up with for Design Homework 5, where you found how much time you spent doing your daily (Monday through Thursday) activities. I don’t care as much about when you did what, but I do want to see your day visualized in an interesting manner where I can see how long you spend watching TV / Youtube. How much time you spend doing Homework. How much time you spend sleeping. Etc.
(If you can incorporate time of the day when you did X, Y or Z that is acceptable. Just make it clear, and remember that total time you spend X, Y, or Z is the main goal.)
Everyones design will be different for this, that is the plan. If you spend the most time sleeping, make sure your design element that illustrates “sleep” is the largest, and label appropriately.
Create a new document 8.5 x 11 (or 11 x 8.5), up to you and your design.
Save your file as “infographicCronin.jpg” and upload to your “week_6” folder. Save the .ai file for your reference.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Maya Content
- Curve editing controls for realistic bounces.
- The gradual curve of the graph. Going for realism.
- Camera sequencer. Making a single batch render (over night?) with multiple cameras.
1:00 Monday through Thursday Maya Animation Exercise: Ball Bouncing. Stylized Kickball vs. Bowling ball.
Today through Thursday afternoon will be focused on an animation in Maya with two balls bouncing: a Stylized Kickball (with exaggerated squash and stretch) and a bowling ball (with almost no squash and stretch).
Take the coursework we covered regarding Stretch and Squash, and apply it to a three-dimensional world.
- Each ball must start from up in the air.
- Each ball must show at least 3 impacts.
- Each ball must show the ball coming to rest.
- You must use two camera views. This will involve rendering out two different image sequences and putting them together in Premiere.
- You must use sound effects for the impacts. Something cartoonish for the stylized kickball. Something “heavy” for the Bowling ball. Download either .mp3 or .wav sound effects. Google “free sound effects” to find these.
At the end the balls must feel different. The illusion must come from you the animator that these are real, different, objects.
Export as “animationBallTestCronin.mp4” and place in your shared “week_6” folder.
Dailies must continue to be animated.