Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Would anyone like to stay today for our Cawd Homework Club? Remember if you are missing any work it is up to you to stay after school.
- Upcoming Harry Potter game leaked footage?
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Student Council Election Info Session
Running for President
Running for Vice President
10:10 Tuesday / Wednesday Blender Animation Exercise: Maze and Robot
I am going to expect a minimum of 10 seconds for this animation.
Export your final animation as “lastnameRobotMaze.mp4” at 1080p, and it goes in your “week_06” folder of the folder I shared with you
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Wednesday / Thursday Sound Design Exercise: Game Trailer
Sound design is the art and practice of creating soundtracks for a variety of needs. It involves specifying, acquiring or creating auditory elements using audio production techniques and tools.
We are going to work with Sound Design over the next two afternoons to continue our Video Editing development. There is an entire career path for Video and Film Editors. Right now we just need to get comfortable with the process so we can start featuring our own animated and film work in class.
Today and Thursday afternoon you will be working as Sound Designers by taking 2 Game Trailers (approximately 40 seconds in length each) and give them sound. Right now they have no sound at all. It will be up to you the Sound Designer to look at the visuals, and create compelling and realistic sounds for what you are seeing on screen.
When a rusty gate opens, we want to hear the squeak.
When a button gets pressed, we want to hear an interface sound.
When an explosion happens, we want to hear that explosion.
We are going for realistic sounds based on the visuals. Save the explosions that sound like squeaky toys and MLG horns for a Google 20% Project on Friday…which could be amazing to be honest, just not for this assignment.
Trailers to Choose from:
- An early version of Tomb Raider – smaller, but we really don’t care about the resolution.
- Halo 5, with a focus on a jump ship, winds, and arial combat.
- Starcraft – maybe the best one here – so many different things going on, you won’t get bored. (Compared to “We need more wind” of the Halo 5 trailer).
- Dragon Quest Heroes – a bit more whimsical, with some giants, fantasy weapons, and combat.
We really have tried to find 4 trailers which are about the same length, and give you the designer the chance to really impress us with your audio editing abilities. All 4 trailers are located on the Public Drive.
Where are the sounds?
There are many “Free sound effect” websites out there. So long as you can download them into Premiere, many different formats will work (.mp3, .wav, etc).
My recommendation is The Free Sound Project. This website requires a login (free and quick to create) and has a nice interface to preview and then save the sounds.
- Find the trailer you like on the public and place a copy of it in your Week 6 folder. Don’t take or mess up the original!
- Find sound effects you like as you edit, and save them in your Week 6 folder.
- Edit to “A” level.
- Turn work in to Shared Folder in your “week_06” sub folder as “lastnameSoundDesign.mp4”.