Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Today is another Tumultuous Tuesday – schedules changed accordingly.
- Big CVU Party has been canceled for seniors today 11AM in Student Services: Daniel, Ben, Bryce, and Michael. It will be rescheduled.
- Ben and Daniel – today at 12:00 in M116. You two should leave at 11:50, get food, and then head down.
- Please put backgrounds to the default.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Morning Photoshop Content
- Community Service Learning Days
- Basics of Restorations
- Improvement is the #1 goal. It may never get back to perfect, but if we can improve it, we can make the client happy.
- Ruler / Straighten / Crop
- Clone Stamp Tools
- Auto Color -> A good first step for aged photos with color tints.
- Color Balance
- Brightness / Contrast
In the end, is what we did better than what walked in the door? If yes, we have been successful.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Blender Content
- Merging files together / How can we share work?
- Only share copies. The public can be erased by anyone, and files are lost, overwritten, moved, etc. Only share copies. .
- Share the .blend file. This gives you the model AND the modifiers, as an example. We can use file append for this. (A negative is you also have to share the material)
- Export and share .fbx files. This gives you just the model, with modifiers applied. We can use Export / Import. (A negative for this is the materials aren’t shared at all)
- Adjusting curves for consistent, uniform speed through the Graph Editor.
11:20 Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday Morning Partner Exercise: Board Game Project
Today we are going to start a partner based project based around a Board Game. We will work on this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. The rough workflow will be:
- Realistically Model an existing Board Game.
- Create 3 static renders of your work in 1080p.
- Create a 10 second animation (minimum) featuring your game as if trying to sell to a customer. No audio required.
While this will work with existing Intellectual Property (Monopoly, Connect 4, Battleship, etc) this workflow will hopefully also help seniors who have to build their Boardgames to get into the Game Design program at Champlain College.
- Daniel / Ben
- Bryce / Michael
- Cole / Levi
- Ahmed / Raj
- Lisa / Ben Dandurand / DeLu (Our only group of 3)
- Matisse / Brennan
- Colby / Swan
- Chloe / Ellie
- Hunter / Goodrow
- Davin / Mercer
- Kurt / Austin
- Isiah / Jean-Marie
I am going to need your team to elect a Creative Director. This student will be the “manager” or “boss” of the project, and what they say will be the final word if there is some sort of a conflict of ideas. I am only going to deal with Creative Directors for any questions. This means that the CD is going to be in charge of shepherding the group to success, being a first line triage to solve any problems, and manage it to an “A”.
My recommended workflow for our first larger partner based project:
- Get in group. Introduce yourselves. Choose Creative Director.
- Decide on Game Franchise to recreate. All imagery from the internet is allowable to use as textures.
- Decide on roles. I would recommend (but you are not required):
- Modeler who just creates creates creates and gives work to the Texture Artist / Animator. Share work across the common drive. Copies of work – never the original. Model -> Export – > Put copy on Public. Repeat.
- Animator who does texture work, animates, and edits. Collect work from public, and put in your own “week_07” folder. The Public can be erased by anyone at any time! Think of it as as the roof of your car. SURE you can put your cup of coffee on it … for a bit, but you want to get it off pretty quick.
- Produce and share. Work with your partner, and CD should be checking in often for clarity, questions, and production.
In the end create the following work product for grade:
- “lastname1Lastname2Boardgame_1.jpg” through “lastname1Lastname2Boardgame_3.jpg”
Both the still frames and the animation must be uploaded to both partners spaces for grading:
- The still frames go on the Web Server in “week_07” for both partners.
- The animation goes on the Shared Drive in “week_07” for both partners.
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:25 Silent Site Maintenance / Missing Work Check
- Check to see if you are missing any work / after school for tomorrows Cawd Homework Club.
- Work on anything Cawd related / Design Homework / College Homework / Study for Quiz.
- 12:30 / 12:40 Departures.
12:45 Blender Content
- Working from reference images to recreate a logo with 4 common methods:
- Changing World Color
- Off of primitive shape
- Using curves
- Using cutting objects
- Using Curves
1:10 Monday Afternoon Logo Animation Exercise: Nike
Afternoons this week are going to be focused around logo animations. Each day we will have a new brand to work with.
Your grade is derived by how close you are to recreating the original animation.
Monday and Tuesday afternoons we will:
- Learn the brand we are working with.
- See the animation you have to replicate. You will only get to see the animation for 5 minutes – you need to storyboard the animation for reference later this afternoon. Listen as well to the sound effects used, you must try to replicate it as accurately as you can.
- Model / Texture / Light / Animate. Use the storyboard you created as a guide to recreate the animation as accurately as possible.
- Render final animation.
- Add sounds.
- Export / Upload / Turn in.
Save your file as “lastnameNike.mp4” and place in the “week_07” folder in your Shared Directory.