Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Welcome to another Tumultuous Tuesday! Schedules changed accordingly.
- CVU Seniors have a party at 11am in the conference room. Go there when break ends.
- Let’s look at the Wednesday Dayplan so we can bring in any supplies for tomorrow’s 20% work.
- There is a folder called “Vinyl Stickers” inside the Public drive. If you want your vinyl sticker printed, please place your file in that folder by the end of the day on Wednesday.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:40 Krispy Kreme Fundraiser
- $10 a dozen.
- Money turned in by the 29th of October.
- Delivered at school on Wednesday November 5th.
- Half the profits go to CTE Scholarship Fund – that is great.
- Half the profits go to Cawd and we are going to use to buy us:
- Ask family, brothers, friends, teachers, enemies, etc. Collect the money and bring in to me to hold it and then I will turn it in.
- You. You want donuts as well. Remember this.
I have already started collecting from students – please buy donuts if you like donuts and video games!
9:50 Intro to Rayman / Creating your own Rayman Inspired Character
We are going to start dipping our toes into Character Animation in Cawd by working initially with two types of characters.
- Disconnected Character such as Rayman. The lack of connective design elements allows for a great deal of creative freedom while animating. We will start working with our Rayman inspired character this morning.
- Flying Droid Character such as Andy. Andy’s simplistic form (lacking features such as knees, fingers, or elbows) forces the animator to employ best practice animation principles such as exaggeration to ensure the emotion of an animation is conveyed. We are creating Andy the Androids over the last two afternoons.
Rayman is the main protagonist of the series “Rayman”. He has no arms, legs or neck, though he has hands, feet, and a head that are able to move independent of his body. Due to his lack of arms, Rayman is able to throw his fists in long-range punches at his enemies, and in some games is even able to project balls of energy from his hands.
This morning we are going to start creating our own Rayman inspired character. Following the design brief (Rayman), we are going to create something with the following design elements:
- 2 hands
- 2 feet
These are going to be some of your first characters, so feel free to create any character and you can always use mine if yours ends up looking “meh”. We have all been there. Just don’t get freaked out by the idea of character creation!
Today we are going to work with the least intimidating portion (in my opinion) which is the feet, and specifically a “foot”. This foot is likely going to be a shoe / boot, but could be just a flesh foot if you would like. I recommend not getting crazy detailed with too many faces too soon! Working basic and subdividing later may be a more enjoyable workflow for you and your computer.
You are only creating 1 foot. Later on we will duplicate and flip the foot for the reflected side.
Try your best to create equal sized quads, or 4 sided faces. Quads will have the greatest chance of smoothing without artifacts, and they are also easier to work with (again, in my opinion). This is small, but helps illustrate what I mean.
By lunch today create 3 renders called “lastnameFoot_1.jpg” through “lastnameFoot_3.jpg” and upload to your “week_08” folder on the web server.
10:45 (Break 15 Minutes)
11:00 Rayman Inspired Character Production / CVU Seniors Meeting
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:45 Silent Site Maintenance / Missing Work Check
- Check to see if you are missing any work / after school for tomorrows Cawd Homework Club.
- Work on anything Cawd related / Design Homework / College Homework.
- 12:30 / 12:40 Departures.
12:40 Week 8 First Character Creation: Andy
Today and Tuesday afternoons we are going to create Andy the Android. Those that create Andy today will work on creating a partner robot for Andy tomorrow for some cooperative / adversarial animations.
Andy is going to be one of our Muse’s for getting into character Animation.
This afternoon will be a nice step by step that goes through the process of reference imagery, adjusting primitives, adjusting pivot points, as well as creating parented relationships. The goal is by EOD today we all have a linked character ready to animate.
Simply save your file now as “lastnameAndy.blend” inside your “week_08” folder when complete.