Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Welcome to Week 9!
- Homework Club transportation is back on this Wednesday. Please be caught up by Wednesday so you aren’t required to stay after school.
Halloween is a Week from tomorrow!
- CTE has a Costume Contest with some prizes (Amazing prizes? No. But prizes.)
- Can we set a record with the most number of costumes for our Cawd Photo? Do I count 32 costumes in the photo above? Which is Mr. Moore?
- Next Tuesday. Be ready.
- And for something different, anyone former Cawd kids that want to jump in, friends of Cawd are welcome. I just like the crazy randomness of the season.
Samples from Week 7
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Design Homework 9 | Skull
Cawd tries to connect with the seasonality and themes of the year. Halloween is one of the greatest sources of interesting imagery we have of the year, so we want to pull from it for this weeks Design Homework.
This week we are going to look at not only human anatomy, but a Halloween themed element as well – a Skull.
Some of you may already know how. Great! Draw a human skull.
If you feel out of your depth there are a number of great resources out there, one of which is Draw with Jazza. Feel free to find a lesson online like this (or any) and use as a guide.
Our advisory board how important it for students to learn how to learn, to independently acquire knowledge. This will be a great application of this goal.
Sign and date, due a week from today.
9:50 Site Maintenance
- Check your missing assignment sheets – students with missing work are after school on Wednesday for Homework Club.
- Quiz Friday – be ready.
- Make sure that 20% projects are in “20” folders in their respective weeks, even if in a shared Google folder. If an animation put the .mp4 in a “20” folder inside your shared week. Organization is always good.
- I forgot to add the “How do we meet your character” storyboard project from Friday 10/13 to the Week 7 “What is due”. Due to this I have collected all that were turned in, and will accept submissions today, for full credit. Get them in today please, either on the table or hand to me.
10:30 Monday / Tuesday Afternoon Sound Design Introduction: Sound Design
Cameron Shepherd – are you ready for an impromptu live action Sound Design?
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 English with Mr. Bisson
- Be back at 11am sharp for attendance.
- Give your attention to Mr. Bisson who is our Cawd English teacher.
- Be ready.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday / Tuesday Afternoon Sound Design Exercise
“Sound design is the process of recording, acquiring, manipulating or generating audio elements. It is employed in a variety of disciplines including filmmaking, television production, theatre, sound recording and reproduction, live performance, sound art, post-production and video game software development.” – Audio Shapers.
Today and Tuesday afternoons you are going to work as a Sound Designer. You won’t create anything visual these two afternoons, you will be dealing solely with sound.
You are going to find sound effects online which support the visuals of your trailer. If you have not yet done so create an account at the Free Sound Project, but you are not limited to this resource. Anywhere you can freely and legaly download sound effects is fine to use. You are then going to use audio tracks in Premiere (and maybe AudiAudacityudacidy to clean up the sounds) to edit your audio tracks together. Remember – we don’t touch the visuals!
You are going to pick from one of three Video Game Trailers that I have supplied for you. The trailers themselves have been selected because they have a nice selection of visual events for you to edit sound with. You will work with one of the three following trailers:
- Tomb Raider – man it is low res, but it has such a nice selection of elements to animate to. Gunshots, Dinosaurs, jumping Lara Crofts, etc.
- Halo 5 – a lot of wind, but pretty interesting with buttons, doors, levers. Pretty traditional combat.
- Dragon Quest Heros – a little more whimsical, and a lot of battle scenes. Pretty whimsical combat.
- Starcraft 2 – this is the “best”. Mr. Cronin, isn’t best subjective? Yes. This is the best. It is high res, and has so many rapid, different sounds. Good stuff.
Can you do your own game trailer? Of course you can’t! At least for this project, use what I supply you. Save them for 20%’s if you enjoy the process. Some will absolutely love working with sound, and it has its own specific set of careers that are available you.
Just like with 20% projects, by 1pm today you must tell me your selection, and then stick with it. I want you to dive in and stick with a selection, and not change your mind every 5 minutes.
Dailies must be uploaded through our Google shared folder (as an mp4) as normal, and then we (random.org/lists) will choose two to watch at 2:00. Even if you don’t have yours selected to view in front of the class, you still get/lose credit for having them up by 2:00.
For grading call your file “soundDesignCronin.mp4” and place in your “week_9” folder on the shared drive.