Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- Quiz Friday!
- Tomorrow we will be having Southern New Hampshire University come to talk to Cawd at 1:30 until 2:00. It is a good experience to start seeing what colleges have to offer and hear why they think you should go there. Please email your instructors with this message if you would like to get out of your 7/8 class (or part of it). You don’t have to use this message, but it is pretty good boilerplate we could all use.
- My CTE class has Southern New Hampshire University coming to present from 1:30 to 2:00 on Wednesday, October 25th. If possible could I please be released at 1:25 so I may attend? I realize I will have to make up any work. Questions please email my teacher Matt Cronin “email@example.com”.
- Next week we will have another school (Champlain College) come to do another presentation. Thanks to Emmy for scheduling these.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Halo 300
As we move into Sound Design and combining media from different sources, I wanted to show you Halo 300. This was the “most popular” video we have made in Cawd, with 1.2 Million views on YouTube before they audio swapped it. I of course still have the original.
This project was created by Eric, who is now living in North Carolina in their “Research Triangle” doing Web Development.
Yes, at some point, you will have to grow a hipster beard. Just something you have to do as a Cawd student.
Anyway, this project was a 20% where he took:
- Audio from the trailer for the movie “300”.
- Video from all sorts of different Halo video games, trailers, and tv commercials.
Specifically, look and listen.
When the audio from 300 says “Spartans descend from the heavens” Eric used video of Halo Spartans dropping from their troop ship (at the start of Halo 2 I … think). I am old.
Really solid work. Yet another type of 20 Percent project that you can do.
10:00 Morning Animate Content
- Frame By Frame Animation (FBF)
- Working with our tablets / Setting up keys? Disabling keyboard controls for Animate Controls.
- Onion Skinning
- Animation Principle #4: Straight Ahead and Pose to Pose
This first session of the morning will be spent doing small ungraded practice animations to get your feet under you. We may look at them as a class, but nothing graded, don’t worry.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Preparation for next Thursday and Friday’s CSL Days
Next Thursday and Friday (November 2nd and 3rd) we will be having our CTE “Community Service Learning Days”. These days are where we give back to the community by offering services.
- The Professional Foods program makes them lunch
- The Cosmetology program does their hair and nails
Cawd offers its services as designers by doing Photo Restorations.
During these two days, life will be different.
- Bright Lights will be on for both days from 9:40 – 1:30. Older eyes appreciate brighter lights to move around the room. Backpacks UNDER desks. We don’t want falls.
- Our three rows will go to lunch at different times. We must always have students on site to work with the seniors.
- No games at lunch / no relaxing in Cawd as we could have clients, and others will be working. When at lunch, get out. When you are done lunch, come back.
We are going to be asking students to act as Creative Directors that help run the day. Seniors have said they enjoy working with YOU, and appreciate YOU running the show. I hope to exist as background help, but you the students will be:
- Greeting at the door / Welcoming
- Scanning imagery for the seniors / filling out the Work Order Forms (more to come regarding that next week
- Assigning the restorations to certain rows. Each row will do the same restoration. Then I have 8 or so restorations to choose from, and we can send the client the “best” version, regardless of which student does it.
We will have different Creative Directors Thursday and Friday, taking into account your schedules, Friday morning college.
Since we may have visitors there will be no quiz next Week. Is that OK?
Overall they will be different days, but a nice way to give back to a section of the community which can often be overlooked and forgotten.
11:10 Morning Photoshop Content
- Using Masks in Restorations to fix / blend scratches and other textural artifacts
- Gaussian Blur
- Clipping Layers so limit effects to specific design elements
As we learn more and more about the restoration process, you have to become familiar enough so that you can decide what a photo needs when we have our CSL days next week. You will be in control of the direction of your restorations, with help from your Creative Director.
11:45 Animate Pass Fail
- Using Pose to Pose animate __________
- Raise your hand when you think you are done. So long as I see it by Dailies, you get credit. Don’t forget to show me!
12:00? Isaiah Drown (former Cawd student) wants to give you money
Is he here?
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Monday / Tuesday Afternoon Sound Design Exercise
“Sound design is the process of recording, acquiring, manipulating or generating audio elements. It is employed in a variety of disciplines including filmmaking, television production, theatre, sound recording and reproduction, live performance, sound art, post-production and video game software development.” –Audio Shapers.
Today and Tuesday afternoons you are going to work as a Sound Designer. You won’t create anything visual these two afternoons, you will be dealing solely with sound.
You are going to find sound effects online which support the visuals of your trailer. If you have not yet done so create an account at the Free Sound Project, but you are not limited to this resource. Anywhere you can freely and legaly download sound effects is fine to use. You are then going to use audio tracks in Premiere (and maybe AudiAudacityudacidy to clean up the sounds) to edit your audio tracks together. Remember – we don’t touch the visuals!
You are going to pick from one of three Video Game Trailers that I have supplied for you. The trailers themselves have been selected because they have a nice selection of visual events for you to edit sound with. You will work with one of the three following trailers:
- Tomb Raider – man it is low res, but it has such a nice selection of elements to animate to. Gunshots, Dinosaurs, jumping Lara Crofts, etc.
- Halo 5 – a lot of wind, but pretty interesting with buttons, doors, levers. Pretty traditional combat.
- Dragon Quest Heros – a little more whimsical, and a lot of battle scenes. Pretty whimsical combat.
- Starcraft 2 – this is the “best”. Mr. Cronin, isn’t best subjective? Yes. This is the best. It is high res, and has so many rapid, different sounds. Good stuff.
Can you do your own game trailer? Of course you can’t! At least for this project, use what I supply you. Save them for 20%’s if you enjoy the process. Some will absolutely love working with sound, and it has its own specific set of careers that are available you.
Just like with 20% projects, by 1pm today you must tell me your selection, and then stick with it. I want you to dive in and stick with a selection, and not change your mind every 5 minutes.
Dailies must be uploaded through our Google shared folder (as an mp4) as normal, and then we (random.org/lists) will choose two to watch at 2:00. Even if you don’t have yours selected to view in front of the class, you still get/lose credit for having them up by 2:00.
For grading call your file “soundDesignCronin.mp4” and place in your “week_9” folder on the shared drive.