Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- A Day
- Welcome to Q2. Today is our last day in these seats. Make your final memories with your elbow partner as you will be getting new ones tomorrow.
- Wednesday we are going to do a second round of DIM presentations. I would like to have local files of all your content so we don’t have any hiccups like last week. Wednesday morning we will add these.
9:40 Attendance and Article
CAWD 1 students will need the Renders for the Isometric Halloween Rooms by End of Day. Please make sure to import all assets into your scene. Upload both your render and .blend file so I can make the honeycomb style of rooms.
9:45 Site Maintenance
- Putting things into corrects folders.
- Naming our documents correctly
- Uploading Videos into the Google shared folders
- Check the “What is Due“.
- Time for college HW?
- All other classes caught up?
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Science w/ Mrs. Ligouri
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Kerning Game
In typography kerning is the process of adjusting the individual spacing between letters in a word to achieve a more pleasing appearance than the fonts default spacing.
The first exercise we will be completing this afternoon is actually a game. Play the following game until you can get an overall average score of at least an 80. You may have to play the game multiple times to achieve this result. This will get your mind thinking in the way of individual letters.
When complete take a screenshot (command+shift+4) of your browser and upload as kerningGame.png to your week_11 folder.
1:00 Movie Quote Poster Research
Today you will be choosing a movie to create a poster in the inspiration of Jerod Gibson. The movie you choose should be famous enough to be recognized by a single object and it’s quotes. We will all agree as a group if over 75% have heard of your movie and would recognize by a single shape, then you can use it.
Here are some examples from the past few years:
This movie poster must be made to look old using a grunge texture / weather look and desaturated colors. The Color Pallet you choose should fit the movie and help viewers to recognize the movie. And don’t forget when using a color palette from colourlovers you can tone down the colors and feel free to add a gray tone from white to black.
Start off with finding quotes for you movie. You can find a lot of quotes in IMDB. No profanity for obvious reason.
The most iconic / powerful quotes should be largest. So if you choose anchorman your largest quotes should be “I love Lamp.“, “You stay classy, San Diego. I’m Ron Burgundy?” and “They’ve done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.“
1:30 Movie Quote Poster Digital Creation
Now that you’ve done the majority of your research we are going to get started creating your poster digitally. We will be presenting where we are at on Thursday.
Before we get started in photoshop or illustrator, I want you to look at the examples above and study how they are done.
- How many type faces are there?
- How many variations of size are there on the type?
- How many angles are there?
- How many colors are there?
- Vertical Scale
- Horizontal Scale
- Faux Bold
- Faux Italics
Also do not use:
- Free Transform
- Text following a Path
- Warped Text (EG. Arc or Bulge)
- 8.5 x 11 (300dpi for photoshop)
- Grunge background overlaid on top of color – Deviantart textures or Texture King
- White border
- Vignette in photoshop. Tutorial Here.
- Character / Object silhouette made with the pen tool. (Not a photo. 1 Color)
- 20 quotes – example
When complete upload to your week_11 folder as poster.jpg.
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- TWO things you were able to get done in your day.
- ONE thing you were unable to get done, but will get to soon.