Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- B Day
- EHS Early Release Day. Adjusted Schedule.
- Student Council Meeting this Thursday. Pizza. Pastries. One is a lie. One is not.
- Shape the typefaces. Same creators as yesterdays Kerning Game.
9:45 New Seats for Q2
- New seats for Q2.
- Tried to pair teams up for SkillsUSA. (Don’t make me regret this)
- Leave keyboards, mice, power cables.
- Take with you art supplies and desk decorations.
- DO NOT DROP THESE iMACS.
10:10 Typography Terminology
After we have the room set, we will be diving more into typography mainly with the structure of typefaces. Taking a look above at some of the terminology. We will be covering:
- Serifs and Sans Serifs
- Bowls and Counters
- Point Size or Cap Height
- Ascender and Descenders
- X – Height
10:25 Visual Poetry
For the remainder of the time, I would like you to go find a part of a poem and/or quote to put on a poster as your focal point.
“The way words are arranged on the page has as much to do with the ideas expressed as the language itself, this is called “visual poetry”. In its simplest form, the arrangement of words echo the theme of the poem. A visual poem can be expressionistic – where clusters of syllables, punctuation or letterforms “resonate” against the eye and suggest various sounds. Or the poem can be a kinetic experience with words streaming, racing or dribbling down the page.”
Both examples below are good but emphasize two different directions of the type faces. One is emphasizing Point Size while the other is emphasizing color.
- 2 Typefaces most
- 8.5 x 11
- Full Color
- .5″ White Border
When complete, upload as typePoster.jpg to your week_11 folder.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Science w/ Mrs. Ligouri
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:25 Site Maintenance
12:30 EHS students Leave for 7/8
12:40 CTE Students leave for 7/8
12:45 Google 20%
I am giving you all TWO AFTERNOONS this year for google 20%. I did this for two big key reasons:
- Ability to continue projects more seamlessly from week to week.
- Allow every student (who doesn’t leave on both afternoons) to get a google 20% each week.
I truly do feel we make our best work when our creativity can flourish. Set yourself a reasonable SCOPE for a project and go from there.
Self-directed time for a topic of choice. It can be anything CAWD related. Go out, find a couple tutorials, maybe some inspiration for a specific piece of art, or learn a new skill altogether. Rough topics below to maybe help you out:
I’ll be going around at 1:00 every Tuesday & Friday to gather your topics. You can always continue your projects from week to week (I highly encourage that your do!), but I need to see significant progress.
1:35 EHS Bus Students EOD
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- TWO things you were able to get done in your day.
- ONE thing you were unable to get done, but will get to soon.