Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- A Day
- Emmy is asking for students who want to take Drawing 2 next semester at CCV? Who is interested?
- Kripsy Kreme Donuts are here. They will be ready in the Cafeteria @ 1:30. I will go down with the students who ordered the donuts. Sheets will be handed back so you can deliver as needed. There will be extra dozens ($10) for anyone who didn’t buy one earlier. The cafeteria will be open till 5pm for anyone who is picking these up later.
- Tomorrow morning Donovan will be joining us to present College Life @ Champlain.
“I’m going to be talking about my major then dive into the game studio at Champlain. An in depth view. I was also going to show them Pineapple the game Management system we have at Champlain that is Industry standard. Well Redmine/pineapple is my schools standard but most studios have some program for it. I was also going to talk about Scrum. The tool we use during the production of games. I was also going to bring my board game that I just finished in to show the type of rapid prototyping that we do and Champlain and that we can do. Also I was going to answer any questions the CAWDians has about Champlain or applying in general. Also I have some business cards for Howie who is the admissions counselor for CAWD. Also for the career coach for the game studio Daphne Walker. She is a fantastic resource. I was also going to talk some about some things about Champlain’s course load.”
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 CAWD Sweatshirts
This is not a drill. This time is for real! It’s been a very long time since CAWD has had sweatshirts to hand out to students. But the PO is in. It’s happening.
CAWD Font – Raleway
Yesterday Mr. Cronin, Jimmy and I all met Tim @ East Coast Printers in Essex to see what our options are. We gained a lot of good information. Things like pricing, sizing, placement and more. But we also have many conflicting ideas. This is where your young hip brains come in.
We would like you to design the hoodie you would want to wear the most. Something you’d be proud to wear. Also things like “what is easy to read from a far distance?” “what is easiest to understand?” “what is the sweatshirt is about?”
Here are some requirements we need to stick two:
- CAWD logo Negative. (file)
- Only 2 colors. (white / CAWD blue)
- CAWD logo small on the front. (text?)
- CAWD logo large on the back.
- Computer Animation & Web Page Design on the Back.
- cawdvt.org on the back (www? too wack? obvious?)
When complete, upload as hoodie.jpg to your week_11 folder.
10:30 Sweater Testing
We stole (borrowed) a test sweater from East Coast Printers. It’s a Large. We want to test it on because of how the sizes happened for CTE’s shirts.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 CAWD Sweatshirt OR DIM Presentations
During this time we will be having our Digital Image Manipulation presentations. Focus on what you did for the project, and practice comfort in talking about your work.
Check out some of these presentation tips.
If you are not part of the Digital Image Manipulation presentations, I expect that you are silent for the presentations and working on CAWD related work. CAWD Sweatshirt? Typography Poster?
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Movie Quote Poster Research Cont.
UPDATE: Continued time this afternoon for Typography Movie posters. If you were not here, Please find a movie, lots of quotes, and follow the guides below.
Today you will be choosing a movie to create a poster in the inspiration of Jerod Gibson. The movie you choose should be famous enough to be recognized by a single object and it’s quotes. We will all agree as a group if over 75% have heard of your movie and would recognize by a single shape, then you can use it.
Here are some examples from the past few years:
This movie poster must be made to look old using a grunge texture / weather look and desaturated colors. The Color Pallet you choose should fit the movie and help viewers to recognize the movie. And don’t forget when using a color palette from colourlovers you can tone down the colors and feel free to add a gray tone from white to black.
Start off with finding quotes for you movie. You can find a lot of quotes in IMDB. No profanity for obvious reason.
The most iconic / powerful quotes should be largest. So if you choose anchorman your largest quotes should be “I love Lamp.“, “You stay classy, San Diego. I’m Ron Burgundy?” and “They’ve done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.“
1:30 Movie Quote Poster Digital Creation Cont.
Now that you’ve done the majority of your research we are going to get started creating your poster digitally. We will be presenting where we are at on Thursday.
Before we get started in photoshop or illustrator, I want you to look at the examples above and study how they are done.
- How many type faces are there?
- How many variations of size are there on the type?
- How many angles are there?
- How many colors are there?
- Vertical Scale
- Horizontal Scale
- Faux Bold
- Faux Italics
Also do not use:
- Free Transform
- Text following a Path
- Warped Text (EG. Arc or Bulge)
- 8.5 x 11 (300dpi for photoshop)
- Grunge background overlaid on top of color – Deviantart textures or Texture King
- White border
- Vignette in photoshop. Tutorial Here.
- Character / Object silhouette made with the pen tool. (Not a photo. 1 Color)
- 20 quotes – example
When complete upload to your week_11 folder as poster.jpg.
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- TWO things you were able to get done in your day.
- ONE thing you were unable to get done, but will get to soon.