Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- A Day.
- Art behind Moira
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Level Design
Over the next few days, we will be designing our levels for our moba game. Noted before, I was thinking of having one central computer that has the “main” level and giving everyone the same level after that. Instead, I would like us all to plan out a level individually. Below is the process we need to follow to make a decent level.
Top Down Layout
First we will draw a top down perspective of our level. We need to make sure we have a few things in our levels and drawings. We should make this as detailed as possible. Below is a small checklist of must haves:
- Point A (Start)
- Point B (Enemy Start)
- Central Point
- Clear path between A and B for enemies
- 6 Towers
- Pick up locations (3 pickups)
Drawing Requirements (descriptions):
- Where is your starting point?
- Where are all your pickups?
- Where are a majority of your assets going?
- Where are your 6 towers that need to be destroyed going?
- Descriptions on side of levels about:
- Asset placement
- Lighting tone
- Level / character sizes
- more more more
When complete sign and date in your sketchbooks.
We need to make a larger list of assets that will be necessary for our designs. Almost everyone should have a tree, fence, pumpkin, a some sort of light. After drawing your level and understanding the scope of your map, make a list of extra assets that will be needed for the remainder of the scene.
- more trees
- pick ups
Make a list in your sketchbooks next to or close to your level design. Sign and date this as well in your sketchbooks.
START to create in Unity
We can START to create our own levels. We should stay true to our levels drawn in our sketchbooks.
Things I know we can start with right now:
- We can make the generic path on our terrain with just paint/textures, grass and mountains.
- We can place trees, fencing, pumpkins and light sources around our path.
- We can define our start and end points.
We will continue this over the rest of the week and beginning of next week.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Level Design
11:10 DIM Presentations
Every other Wednesday until the end of DIM, you 5 will be presenting to each other. As mentioned from Mr. Cronin, this is you grade. So you need to present good.