Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- B Day.
- Game Day on Thursday. Let us plan a little: (CHECK HALEY’S DOCUMENT)
- What are we doing for food? We have a little from last year. Couple pop tarts, couple bags of chips. We can do better than this. Let’s plan either a money drop or individual contribution.
- GAMES!!! Consoles, computers, board games, card games, so on. We do not have monitors here to use. Bring in all the equipment you feel like you need to play games all day.
- 7/8 Classes. You must attend your 7/8 class unless you organize with your teacher. If you are asking to stay back for Game Day you must tell the truth. You are asking to play video games.
- All caught up. You must be all caught up in CAWD and outside classwork. I will be reaching out to teachers today to see how you are all doing. You can take it into your own hands to see if you are missing anything too.
- HW Club Bus? We must know by 10AM now if you are staying for HW club.
- Friday afternoon between 1-2pm, I will be taking anyone interested to the Ice Skating Rink. CAWD2 will be locked up after we come back from college. Anyone who wants to skate comes with me, anyone who wants to play video games for another hour stays with Mr. Cronin.
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Champlain College Board Game
This year all games will use the theme “Metamorphosis.” You may incorporate this theme and interpret this word as you see fit for your design, but the use of the theme must be evident and well explained.
Metamorphosis – “A change of the form or nature of a thing or person into a completely different one, by natural or supernatural means.”
Your game can be designed for any audience — young, old, niche — the intended audience is your choice.
- Your game must have a game board
- Your board can be any size or shape, but must fit within one 11″x17″ piece of paper
- You may have only one board
- Your game must use pawns that are played on the board in some meaningful way
- You can have up to 20 game pawns per player
- Examples: chess pieces, miniatures, coins, tokens, etc.
Additional Optional Elements — While not required, you may choose no more than two of the following:
- Dice — no more than two per player. You may use any type of dice, including custom-designed dice
- Cards — no more than 10 unique cards. You may use duplicates of cards in your gameplay to create a larger deck
- Score sheet and pencil/pen
- Markers or other drawing implements
Please adhere to the list above. No additional items are allowed. We want to see how creative you can be with limited resources. Failure to follow the instructions will result in a substantial score penalty.
Today you will be starting the following:
- Designing your game board 11″x17″. (sketches not required, highly influenced)
- Designing Game pieces (Sketch, Maya, Photoshop)
- Create a running document to start developing your game’s title, theme / story, audience, rules, description of board and pawns, additional materials / pieces, so on.
Check yesterday’s dayplan to see documentation requirements.
This is going to be a bit of a process to complete. We will do this over this week and next week (after Thanksgiving vacation).
For this week, you are to hand in your game board. Your pieces and running document we will work more with next week (after Thanksgiving vacation).
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Level Design
Over the next few days, we will be designing our levels for our moba game. Noted before, I was thinking of having one central computer that has the “main” level and giving everyone the same level after that. Instead, I would like us all to plan out a level individually. Below is the process we need to follow to make a decent level.
Check Monday’s dayplan for full descriptions.
11:10 DIM Presentations
Every other Wednesday until the end of DIM, you 5 will be presenting to each other. As mentioned from Mr. Cronin, this is your grade. So you need to present good.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Google 20%
Self-directed time for a topic of choice. It can be anything CAWD related. Go out, find a couple tutorials, maybe some inspiration for a specific piece of art, or learn a new skill altogether. Rough topics below to maybe help you out:
I’ll be going around at 1:15 every Friday to gather your topics. You can always continue your projects from week to week, but I need to see significant progress.