Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
- B Day.
- CTE Face to Face is Thursday September 14th at 6pm (WEEK FROM TODAY). Tell family today, make sure you are off work. You bring your family in and you get a letter grade added to your Worker Traits component for the week.
- College classes starts TOMORROW. We will all get on the bus together @ 9:20AM, right before class. Then we will all head to our classes at CCV while I bounce back and forth between the two classes. When we come back, we will grab lunch and head to afternoon classes.
- NBA Pokemon Logos
9:40 Attendance and Article
9:45 Movie Quote Poster Research
Today you will be choosing a movie poster for a famous movie like the work of Jerod Gibson. This movie should be famous enough to be recognized by a single object and it’s quotes. We will all agree as a group if over 75% have heard of your movie and would recognize by a single shape, then you can use it. We are looking for artwork to “hang” on the walls and attract artistic students to CAWD.
Here are some examples from a couple years ago:
This movie poster must be made to look old using a grunge texture from deviant art or other online sources and desaturated colors. The color scheme you chose from colourlovers should fit the movie and help viewers to recognize the movie. And don’t forget when using a color palette from colourlovers you can tone down the colors and feel free to add a gray tone from white to black.
The most iconic / powerful quotes should be largest. So if you choose anchorman your largest quotes should be “I’m in a glass case of emotion.“, “You stay classy, San Diego. I’m Ron Burgundy?” and “They’ve done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.“
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Movie Quote Poster Digital Creation
Now that you’ve done the majority of your research we are going to get started creating your poster digitally. We will be presenting where we are at on Thursday.
Before we get started in photoshop or illustrator, I want you to look at the examples above and study how they are done.
- How many type faces are there?
- How many variations of size are there on the type?
- How many angles are there?
- How many colors are there?
DO NOT ADJUST ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Vertical Scale
- Horizontal Scale
- Faux Bold
- Faux Italics
Also do not use:
- Free Transform
- Text following a Path
- Warped Text (EG. Arc or Bulge)
- 8.5 x 11 300dpi
- Grunge background overlayed on top of color – Deviantart textures or Texture King
- White border
- Vignette in photoshop. Tutorial Here.
- Character / Object silhouette made with the pen tool. Not a photo. 1 Color
- 20 quotes – example
When complete upload to your week_02 folder as poster.png.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Greatest Hotel Group Brainstorm
For this logo design, we will be designing a logo for an imaginary hotel. This project was completed by a former CAWD student (Nicole Dombi) in college. This hotel is called “Greatest Hotel Group”.
The first step in this project we are going to brainstorm ideas of shapes that could be used to represent a hotel. This shape could be a literal shape to represent the hotel or an abstract shape. When you create the logo you will just be using the name of the company and an accompanying minimalist shape.
- Greatest Hotel Group
- High end
- 5 Star
- Title at top: Greatest Hotel Group
- Date at top: 2017/09/07
- 10 things (there’s no other way to say this)
Save your quick document as hotelShapes.pdf and upload to your week_2 folder.
1:05 Greatest Hotel Group Font Feelings
The next step in this design process is to pick a couple fonts that portrays the right feeling for the Greatest Hotel Groups.
Example of “A” Level:
- 5 Fonts
- 3 Feelings for each
- “Greatest Hotel Groups”
- Adjust Kerning
- No shapes
- 1200px x 1200px
When complete, upload as hotelFeelings.png to your week_02 folder.
1:30 Greatest Hotel Group Sketching
For the remainder of the afternoon you will be sketching in your sketchbooks (sketch paper today, still waiting on that amazon order…) some ideas for Greatest Hotel Groups.
Above is an example of digital mock ups that Nikki came up with for her class. However you are just sketching your ideas for now.
- Use 10 of yours or our shapes
- 10 total sketches (medium level)
- Label what typefaces are used next to each sketch
- Label font weights and wether tracking/kerning has been tightened or loosened for each typeface
When complete, sign and date and hand to me.