Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- A Day
- UPDATE – College Classes all start on September 14th
- Twitter Accounts – Who’s is still not working? While you are out filming today, I will try to get a few accounts fixed.
9:40 Attendance and Article
Last night we got the news we did not want to hear. At the moment, it looks like a large amount of our backup files have gone missing. More specifically, the entire student directory folder. This is a micro lesson in not relying on Third Party services to protect all of your content. It’s immensely important to backup your work in as many places as possible.
We will all be trying new logins this morning. I created them this morning. They should work.
10:00 Back up and Sync
I want to make sure we are all backing up our work so we don’t have hiccups like this again. If you are having troubles, please check out the video as well.
10:15 Basics to Filming with Canon T3i
This morning we will start the basics to filming with our Canon T3i’s. Overall, it’s truly not that difficult. We need to:
- Switch out main dial to video mode.
- Use the back record button instead of our photo button.
- Adjust our movie recording size.
- Grab tripods for steady shots.
We will be focusing on types of shots used in film these days. These shots will be used later in our Star Wars project next week.
Your focus is to use at least 5 of the shots listed in the article or video above. You will be creating a 30second short silent film with one or two actors.
- At least 5 Different shot angles
- Small conflict
- No dialogue
- 1280×720 60fps
Find a group of three (one group of 4), and start brainstorming a small story to show in 30 seconds. NO I do not need a storyboard or script, that is next week.
You have from now until lunch. Save these shots for tomorrow as we will be editing them into a short silent film.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Basics to Filming Cont.
Continues through break. Grab a drink or snack while out. But stay focused.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:40 Attendance and Article
12:45 Light Paintings
This afternoon we will be doing another camera trick / technique. This one slows down the shutter speed and limits the amount or light intake so we can “draw” in the air with light.
Find a partner, grab a camera. We will need our settings to be set very low. Change the following:
- Auto focus to Manual focus (Camera will not be able to pick up focus in the dark)
- ISO from Auto to 100 (Minimum amount of light intake, longest shutter speed duration)
The top few light paintings will be posted onto the CAWD instagram today.
Today is going to be our first real dailies. This is how it will run:
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- You will post a Photo, Objective, and Challenge into one post